VMware Cloud Community
FMorales
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cann´t connect a NFS server to ESX 3.5

Hello, I am trying to connect a NFS server (a debian 4 etch) with a ESX 3.5 update 1 and I get the following error:

"Error during the configuration of the host: NFS Error: Unable to Mount filesystem : Unable to connect to NFS server"

ESX host has a 192.168.18.2 / 255.255.0.0 ip configuration and NFS debian server is 192.168.15.36/255.255.0.0,

I have a virtual switch with a VMKernel and Service Console ip address inside this range (I attach the image)

I can make a vmkping fron the ESX to the NFS server.

ESX firewall for NFS clients is open

Debain NFS server is working fine, beacuse I have mounted the volumen in another machine for to be sure that the problem is not the nfs server. (ESX ip address and directory are on the /etc/exports) as

/var/nfs 192.168.18.2(rw,sync)

This is the log of the vmkernel

Jun 11 13:39:31 virtual vmkernel: 2:00:38:22.670 cpu2:1036)NFS: 107: Command: (mount) Server: (192.168.15.36) IP: (192.168.15.36) Path: (/var/nfs) Label: (PRUEBAS) Options: (None)

Jun 11 13:40:01 virtual vmkernel: 2:00:38:53.608 cpu2:1036)WARNING: NFS: 931: MOUNT RPC failed with RPC status 13 (RPC was aborted due to timeout) trying to mount Server (192.168.15.36) Path (/var/nfs)

It is like it can connect with 192.168.15.36 but they are in the same subnet .... and I can make vmkping ..

Any idea?

Thanks a lot

Francisco Morales López de Gamarra Vmware VCP | LPI - CCNA
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have a gateway defined for the vmkernel port? Just noticed that the NFS server is on a different subnet form the vmkernle port so without a gateway defined you will not be able to communicate to the NFS server - and only the vmkernel port needs to see the nas/nfs device -

Also do you have no_root_squash configured for the folder you are sharing -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
jackpal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try adding the NFS server to the ESX Host's /etc/hosts file. I've had mixed results using the IP from ESX hosts. Also try reloading or restarting the NFS services on the NFS server.

0 Kudos
FMorales
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, it does not works, I put the host in the /etc/hosts and reload nfs services on the NFS server, also try to put host on the /etc/hosts.allow and is doest not work too.

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
jackpal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You may want to try mounting the NFS server from the service console. Make sure you start the portmapper and nfs:

service portmap start

service nfs start

Then try to mount the NFS server and see what errors get produced. Also check /var/log/messages in the service console.

On the NFS server make sure you are not getting killed by SELINUX. /var/log/messages on the NFS server should help also.

FMorales
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes!!, now, I can mount the NFS server from the service consele using

mount 192.168.15.36:/var/nfs /mnt/cdrom

after start nfs and portmap

BUT !!!, I cant do it from the GUI ESX ... It show me the same error !!

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I am not positive but I think the service console and the vmkernel port have to be on different subnets, but both need to be able to talk to the nfs server.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have a gateway defined for the vmkernel port? Just noticed that the NFS server is on a different subnet form the vmkernle port so without a gateway defined you will not be able to communicate to the NFS server - and only the vmkernel port needs to see the nas/nfs device -

Also do you have no_root_squash configured for the folder you are sharing -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For the vmkernel to connect to a nas/nfs device you do not need to open the NFS port on the service console firewall -

0 Kudos
roluje
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if you are still having issues with the mount in the GUI, add the vmkernel IP address to your export on the NFS server. It is the vmkernel interface that mounts to the NFS share for a datastore mount.

FMorales
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, this was the problem, I was trying with the ip address of the ESX server, not the vmkernel, on the debian NFS /etc/exports

Now,it works fine.

Thanks

0 Kudos
arumon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Roluje,

One more doube on this.

Why it is not resolving the name??

Regards,