VMware Cloud Community
vvsha1980
Contributor
Contributor

Can we get a Console for VMs to install OS other than virtualCenter server and VI Client.

Hi,

I have a setup of one ESX host and It has 20 VMs running.

All VMs are RHEL machines and testing servers, So people are keep reinstalling RHEL Operating System using PXE-Kickstart method every day for their project.

I cant give virtualCenter server login credentials to these people who work on VMs.

But my doubt is how they can install RHEL on their VM without having virtualCenter server and VI Client.

Is there any way we can access VMs console except via virtualCenter server and VI Client.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Since you are running Virtual Center you can use Web Access that will allow the users to connect to their virtual machines through a browser -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
vvsha1980
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for quick reply.

Please let me know that how can I configure web access for VMs?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

By default the Web Services are instsalled - check out this for more informaiton http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_web_access.pdf

vvsha1980
Contributor
Contributor

I have logged in to https://esxhostIP/ui for webaccess ,

I can see all VMs there, Is there any way we can access only a single VM's console. It should not provide other VMs details.

Because we cannot provide all VMs to every one, each VM use by diffrent diffrent teams , So how its possible single VMs console?

0 Kudos
vvsha1980
Contributor
Contributor

Its asking esx hosts root username and password which I dont want to share.

Can we manage web access with a diffrent username and password except root.

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes you can but you will have to create users on your esx host - you

will need the vi client to do this and set permissions - if you have

vc I would use that so you ca use windows user accounts

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 12, 2009, at 8:25 AM, "vvsha1980" <communities-

0 Kudos