VMware Cloud Community
powers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't see SAN/lun in Add storage

I'm trying to add a disk/lun to the esx host, yet its not seeing anything.

I have a ra4100 san (not on the HCL, which does concern me) a compaq FC switch, no zoning and no masking set.

A windows box can see/read/write to the luns, so I know its working.

Rescanning the HBA in the esx box is producing nothing.

If I understand this correctly, when I rescan the HBA, then add storage, I should get a list of all LUNs available to use (regardless if they have been formatted by windows?)

I'm a SAN/FC newbie, so its likely I have missed something here...... :smileygrin:

Help much appreciated...

0 Kudos
11 Replies
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

Look in the event logs for anything about "snapshots"

Steve Beaver

VMware Communities User Moderator

*Virtualization is a journey, not a project.*

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
powers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The event log just shows Task: rescan all hba and Task: Rescan VMFS. Nothing else other than the odd virtual memory alarm.

0 Kudos
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After you do a 'rescan' do 'dmesg' on the command line of the ESX server you issued the 'rescan' from. You will see entires for the scan and check there for any errors.

powers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't see anything of significance - its full of these

hda: ATAPI reset complete

end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 1254314

hda: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

hda: cdrom_decode_status: error=0x30LastFailedSense 0x03

hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0

hda: irq timeout: error=0xd0LastFailedSense 0x0d

end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 1254312

end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 1254314

cdrom_read_toc: Media capacity 359231 blocks appears invalid.

cdrom_read_toc: Model string: "DV-28E-C"

0 Kudos
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

so when i do a "rescan"the output of dmesg is -

scsi singledevice 0 0 0 5

Vendor: HP Model: HSV210 Rev: 6110

Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05

resize_dma_pool: unknown device type 12

VMWARE SCSI Id: Supported VPD pages for sde : 0x0 0x1 0x80 0x81 0x83 0x87 0x86 0xd0 0x0

VMWARE SCSI Id: Device id info for sde: 0x1 0x3 0x0 0x10 0x60 0x5 0x8 0xb4 0x0 0x7 0x4a 0x69 0x0 0x1 0x40 0x0 0x0 0x15 0x0 0x0 0x1 0x14 0x0 0x4 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x1 0x1 0x15 0x0 0x4 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x1

VMWARE SCSI Id: Id for sde 0x60 0x05 0x08 0xb4 0x00 0x07 0x4a 0x69 0x00 0x01 0x40 0x00 0x00 0x15 0x00 0x00 0x48 0x53 0x56 0x32 0x31 0x30

VMWARE: Unique Device attached as scsi disk sde at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 5

Attached scsi disk sde at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 5

resize_dma_pool: unknown device type 12

scan_scsis starting finish

SCSI device sde: 1468006400 512-byte hdwr sectors (751619 MB)

sde: sde1

scan_scsis done with finish

As can be seen from above I have a HP SAN and the rescan picks up a device on "scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 5".

From the output of your "dmesg" I cant see that a rescan was issued. Can you do a dmesg | grep scan? ... look for the lines "scan_scsis starting finish". Or just dmesg | more and look for the same lines. I'm wondering if there are I/O errors. I'm also thinking that there might not be a module or (driver) compatible with the HBA/SAN you have. Perhaps a searh for a 'module' (driver) for your HBA's for linux?

0 Kudos
Natsidan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

do you see any paths to any luns? Windows most likey has a scsi reservation on the LUN so it will not show up. You say you have not zoned in anything yet what is your set up as far as Access logic goes.

How many servers are accessing the luns what are the OS types

0 Kudos
powers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

oops, I realised I should have run dmesg as root.......

The SAN, is a HP/compaq RA4100 (on the HCL) and I'm using a qlogic hba.

I destroyed an array and created a new array and logical drive that was available to all. Then I tried only allowing the esx hba wwn.

The only other server that is plugged into the fc switch is a win2003 server used to configure the san.

I have a compaq FC switch (EL-16) that shows the hba wwn on its name server. No zoning set up on the switch.

I don't get any results when grepping for scan, however a grep for scsi shows this:

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2

scsi0 : qla2300

So my guess is that the hba is not happy, and not scanning, hence I don't see any luns.? or is that just a normal error shown when booting?

0 Kudos
taits
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think that the kmod error is normal. However that the module may not be loaded. Have you tried rebooting the ESX server to get it to load the modules again? The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you've got the latest build of ESX - which may contain updates for the qlogic drivers. Other than that check the obvious - that the LUN is presented to the correct ESX server, that the fibre cable is plugged into the swtich and the ESX server.

0 Kudos
powers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have called vmware support- they think its a presentation problem with the SAN (even though I've got zoning and masking turned off)

Looks like its going to be a HP support vs Vmware support issue. :_|

0 Kudos
BUGCHK
Commander
Commander

Last time I checked, the RA4000/4100 and MSA1000 with firmware version 1 present the logical disks on LUN addresses starting at 4096 or even higher. Most systems these days use 'Peripherial Device LUN addressing' which cannot 'see' LUNs beyond address 255. (I guess your Windows system has a special adapter/device driver combination)

I am afraid that you are out of luck.

0 Kudos
powers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for updating the thread - I've been researching to try and work out whats going on with it, but haven't had any luck.

(its well out of warranty so I've held off calling HP)

You are correct in that the Windows box has a specific Compaq HBA which was required to configure the RA4100.

0 Kudos