VMware Cloud Community
vpgrs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't ping Gateway or other host from ESX 3.5 Server

I just installed VMWare ESX 3.5 on my computer. Installation went well, but i can't connect to ESX server thru address of ESX 3.5 Server>. I tried pinging it to and from other computers on the same subnet with no luck. Also i tried connecting my laptop directly with crossover cable, but still can't ping ESX Server. How to troubleshoot and fix this problem. The network card it Intel Pro 10/100/1000 GT.

when i loging as root on ESX Service console and typein #ifconfig it shows three things.

lo 127.0.0.1

vmnic0 -

vswif0 - 192.168.1.151/255.255.255.0/ gateway

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
plarsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Interesting - you "fat fingered" both the interface and the default gateway wrong - the same way - but everything else is straight out of route -n. Hmmmmmm.

Btw. you cannot correct the IP using ifconfig on ESX - if you typed it wrong the easiest way at this

point is simply reinstall ESX and enter the correct data during install. Given your symptom, it really fits with a wrong network setup.

Refer to my first message if you're sure all the network is setup right - break down the problem, test the network independent of the ESX. Try to ping yourself first - try to ping from the gateway etc.

Check your ARP cache and do a port-mirroring on the switch and monitor the network traffic.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
vpgrs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Also the Ethernet card LEDs are constant green. Should it not be blinking green ?

0 Kudos
plarsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It would help if you could explain the network layout you have a bit. What is the gateway you're trying to ping, how is it connected etc.

The link light is steady. It only "blink" on some models when there's activity. If you've setup your IP in a different subnet than the rest of the network, you won't see much activity at all.

For ESX you most likely don't want to use ifconfig. Your virtual network "confuses" the ESX as each nic is actually a switch rather than a NIC. Instead use esxcfg-nics -l to see how each nic is assigned.

Once you're setup, you'll have other commands to look at vSwitches etc.

Just like any network, you must be in the correct subnet. Your switch must allow traffic to go through and not block you because of VLAN or similar access control. Use the "route -n" command to check

the route table. Of course, to ping your gateway you don't need a route - but it'll help you to determine if you've configured the network correct.

If you missed something, dont' sweat. ESX installs in minutes - so simply restart the installation and enter the correct information. IF that fails, and you're uncomfortable with ESX, I would

boot the server in "linux rescue mode" and enable the NIC from an environment you know. There you should test that you actually have connectivity. I just had to throw out 2 defect cables, as they

cause problems from the ESX to the switch.

0 Kudos
vpgrs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm trying this in Home Network. ESX Server is connected to Linksys WET54G ethernet bridge, which in turn is connected to Linksys WRT54G(192.168.1.1) wireless router.

#route

Kernel IP routing table

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

169.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 vswif0

191.168.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 vswif0

default 191.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 vswif0

#esxcfg-nics -l

Name PCI Driver Link Speed Duplex MTU Description

vmnic0 01:0a.00 e1000 Up 100Mbps Full 1500 Intel Corporation 82541PI Gigabit Ethernet Controller

#esxcfg-vswitch -l

Switch Name Num Ports Used Ports Configured Ports MTU Uplinks

vSwitch0 64 4 64 1500 vmnic0

PortGroup Name VLAN ID Used Ports Uplinks

VM Network 0 0 vmnic0

Service Console 0 1 vmnic0

0 Kudos
plarsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What is it? Your gateway is 192.168.1.1 - and your ESX is 191.168.1.? - not the same network.

Correct one. Btw. normally 192.168 is a class C network. Not a class B as you indicated. This would also impact routing setup.

0 Kudos
vpgrs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

my gateway is 192.168.1.1 and ESX server is 192.168.1.151.

i had it initially to 255.255.255.0 but i changed it to class B. good point. I'll change it back to Class C.

0 Kudos
vpgrs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

so.. ESX server and default gateway can not be in the same network?

my gateway is 192.168.1.1 so my ESX server got be in different subnet 192.168.2.x ?

0 Kudos
plarsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not according to your copy/paste above. Your ESX is in 191.168/16 - not 192.168/16. Check your configuration again.

0 Kudos
plarsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just the opposite. They have to be in the same network. And since route reported 191.168/16 and your gateway is 192.168/?? they cannot talk.

Normal IP network architecture applies with ESX. No hocus pokus there.

0 Kudos
vpgrs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

aah.. fat finger.. i typed the output of the command ....

191.168. is actually 192.168...

0 Kudos
plarsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Interesting - you "fat fingered" both the interface and the default gateway wrong - the same way - but everything else is straight out of route -n. Hmmmmmm.

Btw. you cannot correct the IP using ifconfig on ESX - if you typed it wrong the easiest way at this

point is simply reinstall ESX and enter the correct data during install. Given your symptom, it really fits with a wrong network setup.

Refer to my first message if you're sure all the network is setup right - break down the problem, test the network independent of the ESX. Try to ping yourself first - try to ping from the gateway etc.

Check your ARP cache and do a port-mirroring on the switch and monitor the network traffic.

0 Kudos
vpgrs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You are absolutely correct. I reintalled with correct IP address for ESX server 192.168.1.151 and works great now.

THANSK YOU SO MUCH..

all the time i enterted 191.168.1.151 instead 192.168.1.151.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos