VMware Cloud Community
jure122
Contributor
Contributor

Can't mount NFS share with VI Client

I'm unable to add a NFS datastore to my esx servers with the VI client.

When I go to:

Configuration | Storage -> Add Storage -> Network File System

and use these parameters:

Server: 172.26.20.1

Folder: nfsshare

Datastrore name: nfsshare

I get this error:

Error during configuration of the host:

NFS Error:

Unable to Mount filesystem:

Unable to connect to NFS server

But if I mount the same nfs share in the service console everything works without problems:

mount 172.26.20.1:/nfsshare -t nfs /mnt/nfsshare -o rw,noatime,soft,retry=100,rsize=32768,wsize=32768

What could be wrong?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
pramodupadhyay5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

check whether the virtual center is able to ping the server by server name?????If not than make a entry in the etc/hosts which will related the ip address to hostname

ex.

172.2.21 nfsserver

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
jure122
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried pinging the nfs server (by IP and by hostname that is in the hosts file) from the vcenter and it works. The nfs server is on the same network as the esx hosts and vcenter and there are no firewalls between them.

0 Kudos
jure122
Contributor
Contributor

I've solved it. If anyone else has trouble with this: You have to add a vmkernel port to the virtual switch where the nfs server is.

It's strange that I could mount the nfs share from the console without this but t least now it works.

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That is really strage.

But I thought you had already an vmkernel port configured.

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
pramodupadhyay5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

strange....

me too thought that u have added the vmkernel port

0 Kudos
jure122
Contributor
Contributor

I had the vmkernel port, but it was in another network (dedicated to vmotion)

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ok that is a good reason! Smiley Happy

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos