VMware Cloud Community
rleeber
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install via HP ILO when virtual floppy is also connected.

Is anyone else not able to use the virtual CD and virtual floppy at the same time. Whenever I check the box "Enable Virtual Media multi-device connection", the server will not boot from the virtual cd.

I know this is a HP issue but so far the only way I can remotely install ESX via a script is to have the physical CD in the drive and connect the virtual floppy. I would really like to boot from the virtual cd .iso and have the ks.cfg on a virtual floppy image. Putting the ks.cfg on a web server doesn't work for some reason.

I have 1.93 firmware on the ilo.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rleeber
Contributor
Contributor

btt

0 Kudos
Mark_Bradley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure if this will help, but as a low cost (free) solution the ESX Depoyment Appliance may help.

It is easy to use and will deploy ESX over the network using PXE.

Not a solution to the "feature" of only being able to have a floppy or a CD attached through iLO, but maybe a workaround...

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Check out my blog at http://www.ridethevirt.blogspot.com

__________________________________________________________________________________________ Check out my blog at http://www.ridethevirt.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
JonasL
Contributor
Contributor

I have a few c-Class BL465c G5

I can mount Virtual CD ISO Image on my laptop and at the same time mount Virtual Floppy Folder to a directory on my laptop that conatins my ks.cfg scripts.

The blade boots the CD to boot: prompt. I can now issue:

boot: esx ks=hd:sda/ks.cfg

The sda-device points to my directory on my laptop and I dont need to work with .IMG floppy files.

I have disabled all SAN LUNs to that blade at this time for two reasons.

First reason: They also map to sd-devices, so they will mess up the virtual floppy.

Second reason: I need not to worry if my script installation will destroy my LUNs or not.

(Yes I know about the ignoredisk parameter, but better safe than sorry.)

0 Kudos
rleeber
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the update. I have been trying this but whenever I have a virtual floppy and virtual CD connected using the "Enable virtual Media multi-device connection" option, the server will not boot from the CD.

0 Kudos