VMware Cloud Community
Nitrousman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't get the CD drive in one of my ESX 3.5 servers to boot a Server 2008 CD

I can't figure out what I'm missing on my server to boot this CD. I can boot it on my other identical server with no problem and get the new image created so what can I be missing? I've compared the settings on both servers in the console and everything appears to be the same. Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
damiankarlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Pull out the CDROM from the working server and put it in the non-working server. See if the drive is bad.

Twitter: @sixfootdad Blog: damiankarlson.com Podcast: professionalvmware.com/brownbags

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

are you trying to boot a "VM" with the cd? make sure you have the cd set as "connected and powered on" in the vm settings....

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
Nitrousman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No it's just a Windows Server 2008 install CD. I've duplicated the settings between the 2 servers and it works on one but not the other? I haven't gone into the bios on either machine but I wouldn't think there would be anything different in there on either server. Both are HP Proliant DL 580 G4 servers.

0 Kudos
damiankarlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Pull out the CDROM from the working server and put it in the non-working server. See if the drive is bad.

Twitter: @sixfootdad Blog: damiankarlson.com Podcast: professionalvmware.com/brownbags
0 Kudos
Nitrousman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's that I was thinking about trying that but I figured the server was only 2 months old so how could it be bad since it worked when I installed the OS. After I swapped it with the other server it appears that it is bad so HP is replacing it. Thanks.

0 Kudos