VMware Cloud Community
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Can't generate Support Log Bundle

Hmm... got a weird one here, I'm generating the support log bundles using Export Diagnostic Data (VC 3.5 U4 Build 147633) and on one ESX host (3.5 U4 Build 153875) the message I get is "Log bundle has not been generated" with a ststus of "Missing" in the download log bundles window. I've tried the retry button but no joy and I can't see anything a miss. Any got any ideas?

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Check: free space on the Service Console using "vdf -h"

Try: in the Service Console, type "vm-support" in the /root or /tmp folder. This will generate the .tgz file and then you can copy it with WinSCP or scp.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310

Technical Support Engineer

Linux Server Senior Administrator

Marcelo Soares
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Thanks Marcelo, I'd already kicked off the vm-support but the 'vdf -h' was new to me, v strange it says I've got plenty of space available...

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

The "vdf -h" shows you the local partitions plus the VMFS's. The normal "df -h" excludes the VMFS's.

If still did not copied, maybe some hostd issue, or copy problem... take a look at the /var/log/vmware/hostd.log, and maybe you will find out there what is happening.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310

Technical Support Engineer

Linux Server Senior Administrator

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

checked the hostd and nothing, nothing in the VC logs either... Oh well, since I'm doing the log bundles for a VMware support request I'll ask the techie Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

try run manually cd /etc

vm-support

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

I'd suggest changing the lcoation of where your logs are being generated and running the log generation from an SSH session.

You want to use vm-support -w /vmfs/volume/*guid *

where guid is the guid for a volume with plenty free space. Be careful - the logs can be several hundred megs in size.

<![endif]><![if gte mso 9]>

<!--

/* Font Definitions */

@font-face

{font-family:"Cambria Math";

panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;

mso-font-charset:1;

mso-generic-font-family:roman;

mso-font-format:other;

mso-font-pitch:variable;

mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;}

@font-face

{font-family:Calibri;

panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;

mso-font-charset:0;

mso-generic-font-family:swiss;

mso-font-pitch:variable;

mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;}

/* Style Definitions */

p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal

{mso-style-unhide:no;

mso-style-qformat:yes;

mso-style-parent:"";

margin-top:0cm;

margin-right:0cm;

margin-bottom:10.0pt;

margin-left:0cm;

line-height:115%;

mso-pagination:widow-orphan;

font-size:11.0pt;

font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";

mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;

mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";

mso-ansi-language:EN-IE;

mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

.MsoChpDefault

{mso-style-type:export-only;

mso-default-props:yes;

mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;

mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;

mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;

mso-ansi-language:EN-IE;

mso-fareast-language:EN-IE;}

@page Section1

div.Section1

-->

/etc/opt/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg </span> will actually show you anidea of whjere your logs are generated by default and just how many files you have (and what size they are)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

damn copy and paste . . let me try again . .

I'd suggest changing the lcoation of where your logs are being generated and running the log generation from an SSH session.

You want to use vm-support -w /vmfs/volume/guid

where guid is the guid for a volume with plenty free space. Be careful - the logs can be several hundred megs in size.

/etc/opt/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg will actually show you anidea of whjere your logs are generated by default and just how many files you have (and what size they are)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
dkleeman2
Contributor
Contributor

Try moving (backing up) the files in /usr/lib/vmware/hostd/docroot/downloads. This contains all the old log bundle files - it is the target of the vm-support command when invoked from vCenter. This should free up enough space to run the vm-support command. If not, then your / partition may be a bit full.

0 Kudos