VMware Cloud Community
Dupd
Contributor
Contributor

Can't enable HA Feature in ESX 3.5

<![endif]><![if gte mso 9]><![endif]><![if !mso]>

<object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui> </object> <style>

st1\:*

</style>

<![endif]-->

<!--

/* Font Definitions */

@font-face

{font-family:Batang;

panose-1:2 3 6 0 0 1 1 1 1 1;

mso-font-alt:"MS Song";

mso-font-charset:129;

mso-generic-font-family:auto;

mso-font-format:other;

mso-font-pitch:fixed;

mso-font-signature:1 151388160 16 0 524288 0;}

@font-face

{font-family:"\@Batang";

mso-font-charset:129;

mso-generic-font-family:auto;

mso-font-pitch:auto;

mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;}

/* Style Definitions */

p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal

{mso-style-parent:"";

margin:0in;

margin-bottom:.0001pt;

mso-pagination:widow-orphan;

font-size:12.0pt;

font-family:"Times New Roman";

mso-fareast-font-family:Batang;}

p

{mso-margin-top-alt:auto;

margin-right:0in;

mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;

margin-left:0in;

mso-pagination:widow-orphan;

font-size:12.0pt;

font-family:"Times New Roman";

mso-fareast-font-family:Batang;}

@page Section1

div.Section1

-->

Dear all

We have 3 ESX (3.5) Server in Cluster managed by Virtual Center

(2.5). We builded 10 Virtual machine in Cluster include: 3 Lunix Server and 7

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise. We use an EMC CLARiiON CX4-120C as shared storage. The ESX Server are connected by FC cable directly to the storage. The storage adapters (Emulex

LPe-1150). And current, VMotion and DRS functions ware available for all VMs. However I can't enable HA feature. When I enable the feature then i received a message as below:

Configuration Issues:

Insufficient resources to satisfy HA failover level on cluster SGVF_Clustering in SGVF Datacenter

Unable to contact a primary HA agent in cluster SGVF_Clustering in SGVF Datacenter

Please recommend for me ASAP

Thank you and with best regards

Dupd

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

HA rely's on DNS heavily and from the screen shot you have provided it looks as though your ESX hosts have been added into VC with it's IP address and not it's DNS name. Try removing them from VC and then adding them back in with there DNS name and then trying again. This should resolve the problem.

Stuart

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..
0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Hi Dupd, I can also see from the screenshot that all your ESX boxes have warnings or error alarms on them. as Stu_McHugh rightly said HA is highly DNS reliant, but please also check why your hosts have warning/error - from not knowing your resource levels, if you've got more reservations on resources than you have available on another box then your going to be running into more problems down the line.

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
titomane
Contributor
Contributor

hi !

welcome to HA features on esx3.5 Smiley Happy

to be serious, look at DNS names and case on HOST, on your DNS&routing definition on VC. try to put all names in low cases and verify that hosts names are good.

After that try to reconfigure for HA.

Try to uninstall HA (on your cluster, unselect HA).

If it don't work try to make an other cluster and populate it one ESX after another.

Last solution (it worked for me). take / burn a CD of your last esx update (you didn't mention this but I assume that you have update 2 for both esx and VC ?) and make a reinstall of your ESX. Not an install from scratch but a reinstall (which recognize your old install and only install new / broken features). It start on the same way (maintenance mode, disconnect, reboot with cd, install in graphical mode) but before installing it detect old install and ask you for reinstall / install from scratch).

Hope this helped,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Dupd
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have done as your recommend: removed ESX host and readded all host by host name, but I received other error when I enabled HA

HA agent on prd-vn-esx01.sgvf.com.vn in cluster SGVF_Clustering in SGVF datacenter has an error

HA agent on prd-vn-esx02 in cluster SGVF_Clustering in SGVF datacenter has an error

HA agent on prd-vn-esx03 in cluster SGVF_Clustering in SGVF datacenter has an error

Please see screen that i captured and recommend for me

Thanks & regards

Pham Duc Du

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

From within the Service Console are all the hosts able to resolve each other by name, did you create an /opt partition?

fritzyboi.com

0 Kudos
Dupd
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I haven't never created any partition

Thanks & regards

Dupd

0 Kudos
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

One server in your cluster has a full DNS name and the others do not. Make sure that they all are configured with exactly the same names including the domain suffix. I hope that helps.

Stuart

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..
0 Kudos
SCampbell1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also don't forget that the fully-qualified names in dns itself must have a consistent case as well as the hosts entries, etc.

I accidentally set everything to upper case once, and it worked too. Consistency is the key.

0 Kudos
Dupd
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have instal a new DNS server and add 3 ESXs host to it's domain then I can enable HA. I wonder if the DNS server is compel?

Thanks & regards

Dupd

0 Kudos