VMware Cloud Community
danblacklock
Contributor
Contributor

Can't connect to devices on Belkin Network USB Hub

I am having trouble connecting to the security dongles that are plugged into the Belkin USB Hub (F5L009).

Firmware: 1.2.0

Driver: 1.4.0

The virtual server I am trying to get it working on is running Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 SP2

I copied the USBD.SYS file from the OS CD to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and rebooted.

Then I did a setup capture on the installer to bypass the OS check and have sucessfully installed the Belkin Network USB Hub Control Centre.

The hub is detected succesfully and so are the devices connected to it.

The problem is that when I try to connect to any of them it fails. No error appears, a box quickly flashes up saying "Connecting to %device name%" and then nothing happens.

The only troubleshooting tip I can find in the help is to make sure the firewall is not blocking the connection. The firwewall is disabled.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
danblacklock
Contributor
Contributor

bump

0 Kudos
ac57846
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have my home office printers attached to one of these & shared from a 2K3 DC VM, the only difference I have is that I'm running that VM on VM Sever rather than ESX.

I don't recall the install complaining about OS version, I suspect your issue is the setup caputre.

I'll retry with an ESX based VM.

0 Kudos
danblacklock
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ac57846, have you had any luck on ESX?

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Does the Belkin device have a compatibility checker. I know with the digi usbanywhere devices they have a checker. Some USB devices (especially security dongles) just don't work with all external usb/ip devices.

0 Kudos
danblacklock
Contributor
Contributor

Good point, I had tested USB thumb drives on the hub by connecting to it using my VMware workstaion but I never tested the dongles before I moved the hub into the data centre.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Is the driver showing as working properly on W2K3? I had tried a while back but couldn't get it to run myself.

0 Kudos
danblacklock
Contributor
Contributor

Dave, I had to run a setup capture on the installer using Wise Package Studio so that it bypassed the OS check.

0 Kudos
pauljrb
Contributor
Contributor

We bought said hub a while back for a user and thought it would work well for our VMware infrastructure, only works on XP though Smiley Sad

So we bought a USB anywhere device, works a treat.

Here's a link to a white paper discussing the device

0 Kudos
danblacklock
Contributor
Contributor

I changed the VLAN on the switch over to the one where we host our VMware View VMs (Windows XP SP2). All the dongles connected succesfully.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do now.

pauljrb - We have two Anywhere USB devices on our network, the problem is that you can only have one device connected at a time.

I am going to see if I can purchase a Keyspan USB1.1 Server for testing as people seem to be having success with those.

0 Kudos
danblacklock
Contributor
Contributor

sloan1919 posted this on another thread:

Just for future reference I am running windows 2003 and I have gotten the belkin network usb hub to work by simply running the setup in XP compat. mode.
Works great, almost thought I was going to have to take this thing back to best buy.

I can confirm that this works.

0 Kudos
wootner
Contributor
Contributor

I too confim the above method works. Thankyou

0 Kudos
sloughton
Contributor
Contributor

This does not work for me. Im trying to get things working on a Vista guest in ESXi 4.1.  Installing the Belkin usb hub control center has never been a problem, just exact same symptoms as OP.

What exactly did you set to Windows XP compatibility mode on the belkin installer?

I tried Belkin USB Hub\Utility\Connect\Setup32.exe

Installed the software,

And no change, same as before - device attempts to connect and simply stops after a while and goes back to control center screen with usb device 'not connected'

0 Kudos