VMware Cloud Community
chipflyer
Contributor
Contributor

Can't add new datastore

I have 4 ESX 3.5 u4 hosts in a cluster that I all of the sudden can't add new datastores to. I have been adding datastores for the past couple of years and have never ran into this issue. The storage is an EVA6100 and 2 new luns have been properly presented to each host but after running a rescan for new volumes/datastores in the storage adaptors tab the datastores are never found when I select "add storage" in storage tab. Recently the host were all upgraded to update 4 and have all had the latest HP agents installed. This is the first time I have tried to add a datastore since the upgrades. Anybody else seen this or have any ideas? Is there some kind of new security turned on? I can't add the storage if I use the vi client going directly to the host either.

Thanks

Jeff

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MHAV
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Never Seen A Problem like that with ESX sounds like a Problem with the SAN.

Regards

Michael Haverbeck

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Regards Michael Haverbeck Check out my blog www.the-virtualizer.com
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You should be a bit more descriptive of your setup. How many LUNs have been added to the cluster total?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
chipflyer
Contributor
Contributor

I have in the last 2 years added 19 luns to the cluser with no trouble at all. I just created 2 new luns on the SAN friday and can't get them added to any of the 4 host servers. Nothing wrong as far as the SAN is concerned (its ISCSI) and have not made any changes on it since it was brought up to the latest code/firmware over 8 months ago. The only thing that has changed since I added the last lun was the upgrade to update 4 for esx and the insight and firware ware upgrade for the dl360 g5 servers. I have around 40 servers on this cluster and everything is working fine, no issues at all except for the inability to add a new lun. The host servers have been rebooted in the last month and never have had an issue connecting to the iscsi storage.

0 Kudos
billz0r
Contributor
Contributor

This may be totally unuseful but you haven't hit some magic LAN limit on the SAN by any chance?. I know some of the entry level IBM SAN's have limit to the number of LUN's/physical RAID sets.

0 Kudos
chipflyer
Contributor
Contributor

No SAN limit or problems with storage. Still working a case with VMware on this and they are telling me now that it is a known bug with update 4 and will be fixed in update 5 sometime around 4th quarter of 09, if not sooner in a patch. Their work around is to add a new host to the cluster with an older version of esx, scan from it, add the new luns from it to the cluster, which will allow the other host servers to see and connnect to them and then remove the host from the cluster. I don't have the issue in my test environment but do in production.

Nobody else has seen this?

Jeff

0 Kudos