VMware Cloud Community
snowey
Contributor
Contributor

Can't add fibre channel storage (SAN/Disk) on second ESX host using VI Client

We are currently running a VMware ESX 3.0.2 server and I am having some problems with connecting our second ESX server to the EMC AX150 fibre channel SAN. The shared SAN / LUN is not visible within the ‘Storage (SCSI, SAN and NFS)' menu of VI client.

The aliasing and pathing are setup and display under the ‘Storage Adaptors' menu option on the second ESX host, the device QLA2432 is listed correctly, but under the ‘Storage (SCSI, SAN and NFS)' menu the 400Gb disk is not displayed. There is not an intuitive way of connecting existing SAN / LUN disks , however you can Add Storage, but this will erase / destroy the current SAN / DISK, which is not a good idea.

The technical details are:

• 1. ESX host 1 (v3.0.2) - connected to SAN via Qlogic Fibre channel, currently accessing SAN / LUN with VD1 400GB, VD2 900GB;

• 2. ESX host 2 (v3.0.2) - connected to SAN via Qlogic Fibre channel, can see SAN / LUN via Storage adaptor menu in VI Client; and

• 3. Dell/EMC AX150 SAN - connected via two Fibre channel switches, with aliasing and pathing.

Question:

Why is the SAN / Disk not displaying (or mounting) on the second ESX Server?

Thank you for your help / guidance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

On ESX Host 2 did you rescan your FC HBA? Just because you create a VMFS Datastore on one host does not mean it will automatically show up on another host - highlight the FC HBA in the storage adapter list and click on the Rescan link

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
snowey
Contributor
Contributor

I trieed to rescan under storage adaptor, but has made no difference. BTW under 'Storage Adaptors' it displays the details of QLA2340 controller and SCSI Targets eg. at SCSI Target 0 has path vmhba2:0:0 with capicity 400GB, LUN ID 0.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried running the rescan command esxcfg-rescan vmhba2 fromt the service console command line? Also take a look in /vmfs/volumes if you see your VMFS volume listed there - if it is try restarting the VMware Management agent with the following command - service vmware-mgmt restart - somtime the ESX Hosts loses communication with VI Client/VC Server -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rajkn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So you are seeing the 400G disk, not the other one. That indicates that your zoning with storage is correct. You might want to check the LUN masking on storage to see if both the disks are assgined to HBA on host2.

If connectivity with host is lost, I have seen actions like scsi adaptor rescan failing saying that connectivity is lost.

~rajkn

~rajkn
0 Kudos
snowey
Contributor
Contributor

- i have inspected the /vmfs/volumes on ewsx-s2 and found no evidence of SAN connectivity. Running the command ‘esxcfg-rescan vmhba2' will NOT destroy the connectivity of the other host ESX-S1. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AS ESX-S1 / SAN is a production environment and i would not want to lose any VMs???

rajkn - yes, the zoning is correct. Also can see both the 400GB and 900GB LUNS from ESX-S2 through the ‘Storage Adapter' but cannot mount either volume under the ‘Storage (SCSI, SAN and NFS)' menu

0 Kudos
Frank_Poelert
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Snowey,

The command ‘esxcfg-rescan vmhba2' does the same thing as scanning the adapter from the VI client.

Your ESX-S2 has dicovered both LUNS, so rescans will not solve the problem.

As soon as the LUN is visible in the storage adapter view, the VMFS should be visible in the storage view. There is no mount command for that, adding storage is not necessary as well. If you try that it will destroy the data!

Possibly the host has marked the LUNS as being snaphot LUNS, in that case the VMFS will normally be hidden. You can change this by setting 'LVM.DisallowSnapshotLun' to 0 on the host and then do a rescan.

If that doesn't solve the problem you can try to disconnect the ESX-S2 from the AX150 (zoning, LUN masking or disconnecting physically), do a rescan (the LUNS will disappear from the storage adapter view), connect again and rescan again.

Hope this helps

Frank

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am convinced there is a bug in VC...

I've rebuilt 3 ESX hosts in different clients and I always now have to connect directly to the ESX host to create the local storage volumes. VC will not see the local space on the host so I can create a local VMFS volume.

0 Kudos