VMware Cloud Community
CarlMarius
Contributor
Contributor

Can not create a new user with permissions to logon to the VMware ESX 3.5.0, 123630

Hi,

I am new to the world of VMware ESX 3.5.0, so bear with me for a moment Smiley Happy

I have access to the ESX server by the VMware Infrastructure Client, version 2.5.0, build 147704, and when I use the root account and password, I can logon to the ESX server and the virtual machine on it.

Now I would like to create a new user account to myself, instead of using the root account, so I navigate to the "Users & Groups" and create a new user "admbcms" as login/User Name, and "101" as UID.

I have marked the "Grant shell access to this user", so the user should have shell access.

In Group membership, I have assigned the user the following groups:

root, bin, deamon, sys, adm, disk, wheel, users.

But when I try to logon to the ESX server, I get the following error message:

Error Connecting

VMware Infrastructure Client could not establish a connection with server "esx007.silkeborg.local".

Details: You do not have permissions to login to the server: "esx007.silkeborg.local".

I have attached a screendump of the error.

Can you help me locate what I am missing at the permission assignment?

Kind Regards,

Carl-Marius

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
CarlMarius
Contributor
Contributor

Hi IB_IT,

Thanks for the link, I found the missing link Smiley Happy

It looks like that I was missing creating a user under the "Permissions" Tab, all I did was creating a new user "admbcms" and assigned the "Administrator" role to this user, and then I could log in as the admbcms user.

I am still not sure why I need to do this last setup also, but it works, so in time I mayby understand why Smiley Happy

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

0 Kudos