VMware Cloud Community
Kevan
Contributor
Contributor

Can not access Dell Openmanage on ESX 3.5 upate 4 server

Hi

I have installed Dell OpenManage on an ESX 3.5 update 4 server. I thought I had followed the correct procedure but can not access it now via IE using

What commands should I use to verify that the instalation completed OK and that I have the required ports open?

Can I just reinstall it again over the top of the existing instalation?

If anyone has any other tips they would be greatfully received.

Thank you.

Regards.

Kevan

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Kamaraj_Anandha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mate,

First open this 1311 port on your ESX box then you try to access

Cheers,

Kamaraj Anandhan

Kamaraj Anandhan
0 Kudos
Kevan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

After the instalation I did run these commands.

esxcfg-firewall -o 1311,tcp,in,OpenManageRequest

esxcfg-firewall -e snmpd

esxcfg-firewall -o 80,tcp,in,http

service snmpd restart

But have been unable to open OpenManage.

What are the commands to confirm that the correct ports did open? and that the instalation did install OK with all required features.

Regards

Kevan

0 Kudos
Kamaraj_Anandha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mate,

Did you refer this guide?

Kamaraj Anandhan

Kamaraj Anandhan
0 Kudos
Kamaraj_Anandha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mate,

Please follow these steps, and make sure that you have installe that Patch ESX350-200802412-BG

Installing OpenManage 5.x on ESX 3.x

NOTICE: On ESX 3.5 systems, Patch ESX350-200802412-BG needs to be installed prior to the OpenManage Installation. This patch addresses an issue related to event reporting in Dell OMSS. This patch may be downloaded from http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/vi3_patches_35.html. For further details, refer to http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003459.

April 2008 11 Dell Inc.

The following are the steps to install OpenManage 5.x on ESX 3.x:

1. Log on with administrator privileges (root) to the Service Console.

2. Make sure there is at least 512MB of free disk space in the /root partition of ESX Server service console. This can be verified by running the df -lh command in the service console.

3. Use the following steps to install OpenManage Server Administrator:

a. If you are using an OpenManage CD/DVD, mount the CD/DVD and change the working directory with the following command:

$ mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom $ cd /mnt/cdrom/srvadmin/linux/supportscripts

b. If you are using a tar file from http://support.dell.com, download the file to a temporary directory and extract the files:

$ tar -zxvf OM_5.1_ManNode_LIN_A00.tar.gz

where OM_5.1_ManNode_LIN_A00.tar.gz is the file downloaded from http://support.dell.com

4. Install OpenManage by executing the installation script and following the onscreen instructions:

a. If you are installing OpenManage on a Dell PowerEdge 1855, PowerEdge 1955, or on a system that does not have a Dell Remote Access Card (DRAC), use the following command:

$ ./srvadmin-install.sh -b -w -s

b. If you are installing Dell OpenManage on a PowerEdge M600, M605, or a server with DRAC, use the following command:

$ ./srvadmin-install.sh -b -w -r -s The options used in the OpenManage installation script expand as: b: Base install of OpenManage Server Administrator w: Web interface for OpenManage Server Administrator r: Dell Remote Access Controller (DRAC) services s: OpenManage Storage Management (OMSM)

5. To start the OpenManage services without rebooting the system, execute the following command:

$ srvadmin-services.sh start

6. If you are using an OpenManage CD/DVD, unmount and eject the CD/DVD with the following command:

$ eject

7. To access the ESX server using an OpenManage Web Administrative console, open the ports used by OpenManage using the following commands:

$ esxcfg-firewall -o 1311,tcp,in,OpenManageRequest

Kamaraj Anandhan

Kamaraj Anandhan
Kevan
Contributor
Contributor

As I have installed ESX Server 3.5 update 4 I would assume that this patch has been incorporated into this build?

The information you have provided was exactly the procedure that I followed during my instal.

I am not sure why I can not access OpenManage.

As I said earlier what are the commands to confirm which ports are open and that the instalation is OK?

Regards

Kevan

0 Kudos
marvinms
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know the command you are asking for but I did not see the command that I enter (I don't remember what it does) before the esxcfg-firewall.................. command.

I was instructed to enter: "chkconfig --level 35 dsm_sa_impi on" prior to the command above.

I have not installed the application to any host since upgrading to U4, but they all still work.

Do you have connectivity from other hosts?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I was instructed to enter: "chkconfig --level 35 dsm_sa_impi on" prior to the command above.

Means that during run levels 3 and 5 the Dell Open Manage service 'dsp_sa_impi" will start. Linux has many run levels, kinda like Windows safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc.. It puts the open manage in the startup during those times, but I have never had to set it before, so someone may have assumed it wasn't running, but if you follow Kevan's suggestion you will be fine.

I have done those SAME instructions (following exactly and don't miss a single line or comment) without issue.

0 Kudos
Kevan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All

Well for some reason I can not access the Dell OpenManage.

Would it be OK just to run the instal again.

The Esx server is running fine in every other aspect and does have VM's running on it. I would not like to do anything that would risk these VM's.

Regards.

Kevan

0 Kudos
Zarach
Contributor
Contributor

If you're installing it today, I can only assume you've downloaded the latest package which is 5.5? The way I did it was this: All custom services are contained in a .xml file in /etc/vmware/firewall. I added a custom service file called DellOpenManage.xml which looks like this:

<!-- Firewall configuration information for Dell OpenManage -->

<ConfigRoot>

<service>

<id>Dell OpenManage</id>

<rule id='0000'>

<direction>inbound</direction>

<protocol>tcp</protocol>

<port type='dst'>1311</port>

<flags>-m state --state NEW</flags>

</rule>

<rule id='0001'>

<direction>outbound</direction>

<protocol>tcp</protocol>

<port type='dst'>1311</port>

<flags>-m state --state NEW</flags>

</rule>

</service>

</ConfigRoot>

Once that's in place, I added the service to the firewall rules:

/usr/sbin/esxcfg-firewall -e "Dell OpenManage"

Once that's done, you should see openmanage as a service in the VI client and also you should see it show up in the firewall service list at the command line:

/usr/sbin/esxcfg-firewall -s

Known services: activeDirectorKerberos caARCserve CIMHttpServer CIMHttpsServer CIMSLP commvaultDynamic commvaultStatic Dell OpenManage ftpClient ftpServer kerberos LDAP LDAPS legatoNetWorker LicenseClient nfsClient nisClient ntpClient smbClient snmpd sshClient sshServer swISCSIClient symantecBackupExec symantecNetBackup telnetClient TSM updateManager VCB vncServer vpxHeartbeats

Hope this helps!

Kevan
Contributor
Contributor

All

Thank you for all your imputt. I went over the firewall commands again and then restarted the OpenManage service. And Suprise, suprise I can now access it.

Not sure what was happening before.

Regards

Kevan

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers Smiley Happy

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos