VMware Cloud Community
munozm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can log in via VI client but I can't bring up the web access.

I can log in to the ESX server via the Virtual Infrastructure Client. I can not bring up anything when I try to browse to the ESX server in a browser. I know this worked at one time as I had used this page to download the client. I ran nmap and see ports 80 and 443 open. I get the same results from either webpage. I have rebooted the server and didn't notice any errors on the bootup. One interesting thing is that before the reboot, I would get a certificate mismatch on https (expected, I haven't tried to import certificates or anything) but still get a blank screen. Since the reboot I don't even get the certificate mismatch.

The VM Hosts are working normally.

Not sure if its related but I have run service vmware-webAccess status and see webAccess is running. I restarted the service but no change.

I usually use the client, I noticed this problem when trying to use the VMware Converter and it was failing to connect on 443.

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You'll need a line in hosts file that says

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

I would also add

vmesx.labtest.local

After you make the changes make sure you can ping localhost in your session and then restart the vmware-webAccess service.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You may want to check the log files in /var/log/vmware/webAccess/ and these two files as well: /var/log/messages ande /var/log/hostd.log

Have you tried to restart the management service: service mgmt-vmware restart

Also, do you get any response if you telnet to ports 80 and 443 on the server?

0 Kudos
jjohnston1127
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You probably need to start the Virtual Center Server service.

Go to Start->Run

Type "services.msc"

Scroll down to Virtual Center Server..make sure all of the services are started and if some aren't, it should fix your problem.

If not, let us know.

0 Kudos
munozm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the responses. I'll look through the logs. I tried to restart the service but its the same. I can telnet to 80 and 443. I'm also trying from 2 different machines one on windows with IE 7 and one on linux with firefox, same results. The windows one is the same one that can use the client.

When you say start-run, I'm assuming you mean the client machine I'm using to access ESX? I don't have this service. I'm just using the simple client I downloaded from the ESX server. If you think this service is some how linked to me bringing up the box through a browser, please give me more detail on the service.

As a side note, I was messing with the network interfaces a while ago. I thought I put everything back to the originial state, perhaps I left something out that's related to the web access?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The start\run instructions would apply if you were running VirtualCenter which it doesn't sound like you're doing. Could you post the output of the file /etc/hosts ?

0 Kudos
munozm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have two commented lines then:

127.0.0.1 vmesx.labtest.local

I haven't had a chance to review the logs yet, I was going to do that tonight.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You'll need a line in hosts file that says

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

I would also add

vmesx.labtest.local

After you make the changes make sure you can ping localhost in your session and then restart the vmware-webAccess service.

0 Kudos
munozm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked. Thanks for the help. Any idea why it would have been blown away? I'm assuming it was from me working on the IP interface.

Again, thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It was probably the changes you were making. If you ever need to change the service console IP / hostname here's a KB article with the required steps.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=4309499&sl...

0 Kudos