VMware Cloud Community
discatcher
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone tell me what port Web Access uses to connect to remote console?

When I am connected to a host server via web access and try to open a remote console to a VM I get the error below.

Can anyone tell what port so I can verify if it is open? Or suggest another possibility?

Thanks.

Error message below:

Cannot connect to the virtual machine.

Cannot connect to host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. A socket

operation was attempted to an unreachable network

Try Again

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

If i'm not mistaken then that's TCP 903 and if i am then it's TCP 902 Smiley Happy

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
chandlm
Expert
Expert

If you are on Windows you could run a netstat when you are connected to see what ports are in use...

0 Kudos
jumz
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue stated in the first post.

However, I believe mine is related to the fact that I am access the ESX host Outside my domain (i.e. I have opened 443 ) so I can manage my VM's remotely , however, I cannot get the console to work (which was the primary purpose for me doing this).

I can see that the reason is that the console attempts to connect to the VM by its IP inside my network (i.e 192.x.x.x etc), however, I am accessing this outside (from home for example).

Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

This is a great tool to check what ports are being used by an application. just start the tool up and try to connect and it will show what ports are being opened...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Networking/TcpView.mspx

I just tried this and it shows ports 443 in use to my VC server, then initially 902 to my ESX server that hosted the VM and finally 903 to the ESX server that hosted the VM was the port it used.

0 Kudos
wobbly1
Expert
Expert

The simple way would be to connect to a system inside your network and then from there launch a web browser console to the vm.

The other alternative is to use NAT to publish external ip addresses for the internal vms but I'm guessing this would not be ideal, is complex and risky from a security perspective.

0 Kudos