VMware Cloud Community
oshea1
Contributor
Contributor

Can Not install VI CLient 2.0.1 on Windows Vista Business...

Hello, I am trying to install the VI Client from my ESX 3.1 server.

I have one machine that was upgraded from xp to vista and it already had VI client installed when it was xp. This one works fine. But my new machine is a fresh install of windows Vista Business and when I try to install I get an error about trying to install the .Net framework.

Is there any work around for this? I am in a bind.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tim

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mwheeler1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have the exact error message?

0 Kudos
MagellanTX
Contributor
Contributor

I use Vista Ultimate and have the VI client 2.0.1 installed. I first installed the .NET framework 2.0 and 1.1SP1 and then I installed the client from scratch and had no errors at all. Occasionally when I try to get details on the storage it will generate an error but I can hit 'continue' and proceed.

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert

I think this error can be ignored. I had it on a Vista Business and Ultimate. Maybe it's because VI Client setup don't know .NET 3.0 which is installed on Vista. -

Beside the customization wizard everything works ok after installation.

Keep in mind, that Vista is not (yet) supported to run VIC on.

Message was edited by:

cheeko

0 Kudos
kb_PEL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

In addition to the original user post I have also experienced this issue with installing VI Client 2.0.1 Build 40644 on Windows Vista. However I am using the enterprise version.

After starting the install process the following error is encountered -

1603: Error installing Microsoft(R) .NET Framework.

Clicking OK to this shuts down the install process.

Any clues as to how to get past this issue would be appreciated.

Cheers

K.

0 Kudos
CARDSFAN07
Contributor
Contributor

Try this.....right click on the installation file (before installing it) and go to Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab and set it to Windows XP SP2. Then run the installation executable.

0 Kudos
kb_PEL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Sorry for the slow response. I have tried in several combinations the compatibility options however it was without success.

Cheers

K.

0 Kudos