VMware Cloud Community
nikolaus_virt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can HA do this ?

I'm wondering if I can setup HA so that when a host in the cluster fail, the machine state of VM get transfered to another host ?

Right now, when I tried, when a host fail, it took a short period before the VM get booted up on another host and all the

machine states were losted. Basically, I'm looking for some sort of continuous VMotion together with HA.

Thanks

Nikolaus,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jjkrueger
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Right now, there is no functionality built-in to VI3 that will accomodate your desire. The HA product is there as a reactive answer to a host (or as of VC2.5 U2, a single VM) completely failing. What you're looking for is some kind of Continuous Availability functionality. This is currently not a VMware provided feature.

-jk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jjkrueger
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Right now, there is no functionality built-in to VI3 that will accomodate your desire. The HA product is there as a reactive answer to a host (or as of VC2.5 U2, a single VM) completely failing. What you're looking for is some kind of Continuous Availability functionality. This is currently not a VMware provided feature.

-jk

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as the other poster indicated HA does not support machine state fail over - so you can not have continous availability -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

And Continous Availability was anounced during the last VMworld. So you can expect this in the near future. And besides that HA, for network isolations, supports "shutdown the vm" which gives a nice clean VM when it's restarted on the other server.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".