VMware Cloud Community
japansupport
Contributor
Contributor

CPU Utilization rise to 100%

To angels

I am using a ESX 3.5 update1.

one day my VM's CPU utilization rise to 100%.

and i found following log from event log.

Could you tell me what's the meaning of following error message?

・2008/09/17 1:25:52

Message on mdcamn01 on mdcavm05s.mdcoc.local in MDC_BB: *** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) *** The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware ESX Server software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down.

・2008/09/21 0:13:12

Message on mdcamn01 on mdcavm06s.mdcoc.local in MDC_BB: *** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) *** The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware ESX Server software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down.

・2008/09/25 22:50:48

Message on mdcamn01 on mdcavm05s.mdcoc.local in MDC_BB: *** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) *** The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware ESX Server software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
paulkbeyer
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

What operating system is the Virtual Machine you're running? Is the operating system one that is supported in the Guest operating system list in ESX 3.5 Update 1 or are you trying to run something a little 'custom' ?

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
japansupport
Contributor
Contributor

Hi paul

Thank you for your e-mail.

I am using a Windows2003 Server SE SP2.

Does this error message relate to Guest OS?

Best regards,

marvelerk

0 Kudos
paulkbeyer
Contributor
Contributor

Hiya,

It could be both, as described in your error message

*"It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine,

a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware ESX Server

software"*

So assuming you're running your ESX Server on hardware in the HCL and you're happy with that, I'd try for getting yourself 10 minutes downtime to upgrade the ESX host to U3 and blame it on the nasty security vulnerability that U3 fixes :- http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-4915

Sorry I've no direct answer for your problem, Hope someone else maybe able to be clearer in the meantime before you try U3.

Regards

Paul

0 Kudos
aldikan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hiya,

Check if your VMtools are installed correctly,

I might even try to re-install them,

As paulkbeyer suggested, I would plan to Update 3,

It fixed our high CPU usage spikes.

Alex