VMware Cloud Community
mdz4ju
Contributor
Contributor

CPU/Mem Monitoring

We have virtual center by the by..

I want to know how I can grab cpu and memory utilization for say, a cluster or host but only during business hours/days.

It would take too long to setup a machine perftool in w2k for each vm. Anyone know of a thirdparty product or other way I can have my engineer extrapolate this. Preferably from a monthly standpoint. Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
epj
Contributor
Contributor

We use VCharter for our monitoring. It can send out reportds and all sorts of information and stores it all for history for trending.. There are of course others out there as well I think Vkernel has one as well

thanks

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You can use the performance tab to run the same reports and on the objects you need. It is built-in and you can start exporting those right away. vCharter is a good option, as well as veeam reporter

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
mdz4ju
Contributor
Contributor

Can those programs automatically create a report for just business hours of business days from a monthly standpoint?

Any free/cheapest vm apps that can do that you know of because that's the only info I care about. cpu/mem util % of those hours/days in a month. thanks.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I believe you can create/schedule reports as you need. Since they use the VI data, I would suggest running the reports daily. When the stats are calculated, samples are rolled up in a hourly/daily/weekly/monthly jobs, so accuracy is lost the longer your sampling period encompasses.

There is also Nagios, which is open source, it is full blown monitoring solution, and may be overkill for what you want.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
gsosa70
Contributor
Contributor

I definitely think Tek-Tools Profiler can fulfill this need and much more. It gathers performance for VMs, ESX Hosts, DataCenters, clusters, resource pools, etc. Reporting is flexible enough so you can choose certain hours of the day as you described.

Check it out. Hope this helps.

Gustavo Sosa

Product Manager

Tek-Tools, Inc

www.Tek-Tools.com

0 Kudos