VMware Cloud Community
davis_lambton
Contributor
Contributor

CDROM not working in ESX 3.5 207095

I have 2 ESX 3.5 207095 servers that i am unable to use the CDROM. They both worked for the ESX install, but now I can't see them from any VM's, nor can i mount them from the console.

From the VM properties, i changed the CDROM to the device of /dev/scd0, as indicated in another KB article. I've tried to mount from the console with mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom, but it returns:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,

or too many mounted file systems

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

first check if cd rom are connected in edit settings. try remove and re add.

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
davis_lambton
Contributor
Contributor

no good. reports :'windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it coule be usinga format that is not compatible with Windows'. The disk is good. I get the same thing from multiple disks, from both of my new ESX 3.5 207095 systems.

this is my first DL 385 G6, if that helps.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

the vmware tools are installed ?

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
davis_lambton
Contributor
Contributor

yup. normally i'd chalk it up to a bad CDROM, but the fact that i'm having the exact same problem on the same two new identical machines.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

have any virtual machine thath works with same CD ROM physical ?

if not, check HCL VMware if is compatible.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Some Linux distributions use different device names or organize the /dev directory differently. If your CD-ROM drive is not /dev/cdrom or if the mount point for a CD-ROM is not /mnt/cdrom, you must modify the following commands to reflect the conventions used by your distribution.

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

if not works, i don´t know what can be

MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

works?

0 Kudos
davis_lambton
Contributor
Contributor

didnt' work. The cd is @ /dev/scd0. The mount command gave the error as above.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/285726?tstart=0

0 Kudos
davis_lambton
Contributor
Contributor

no good. I know the device, the problem is the error as reported above when i try to mount it.

0 Kudos