VMware Cloud Community
gdesmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Build numbers don't match

I have a previously built 3.5 host at build 95350. Patched thru june 11th's release of patches. esx01 in attachement.

I have a newely built 3.5 host at build 103908. I created a fixed baseline that included patches thru june 11th. Hoping that I could have the two hosts at the same patch/build revision level. Even though they were installed at different times. esx03 in attachment.

Why am I seeing different patch's installed on each? And different build numbers? Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well I just did some development patching, so I can tell you that 3.5 Build-103908 is ESX 3.5 Update 2, the previous 95350 is probably either 3.5 + some patches or 3.5 Update 1. It probably pulled the latest updates and since Update 2 just came out last Friday, it would make sense that your VUM might have baseline at the latest revision. From what I hear, VUM does not work that well, hence we have custom script to do our upgrades. It's based on a shavlik license for VUM, which works well but there's still certain times you'll see some very odd issues. I'm hoping that VUM gets better and eventually you can rely on patching your hosts for your. Remember, once patched you can't go back, it'll be a rebuild if you need them to be a certain revision or bring your other hosts to Update 2.

0 Kudos
gdesmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My host (esx03.txt in attachment) does not show update 2 is installed via esxupdate query. But you think it is?

I don't even see update2 in update mgr as being an available update to deploy. Also my fixed baseline I created included no patch's or updates after June 11th.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well unless I'm mistaken, I did upgrade to our ESX 3.5 Update 1 systems to Update 2 and I show "ESX350-Update02 14:02:12 07/29/08 ESX Server 3.5.0 Update 2" and the current build is 103908 which I have listed as Update 2, which can also be confirmed on VMware's site for Update 2:

http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/

VMware ESX 3.5 Update 2

Latest Version: 3.5 Update 2 | 7/25/2008 | Build: 103908 | Release Notes

0 Kudos
gvedvik
Contributor
Contributor

That might depend on how you updated your servers and the definition of the baseline(s) in VUM. I've pasted in two notations from the VUM update2 release notes. The first one is for a baseline configured to be dynamic:

Remediation of ESX Server 3.5 and ESX Server 3.5 Update 1 Hosts Might Install an Equivalent Newer Version of the Patch
+ When you remediate an ESX Server host against a baseline containing a patch that has an obsoleted prerequisite, the Events tab displays an event message that the patch and the obsoleted prerequisite are installed. However, when on the ESX Server host, the patch and the current version of the prerequisite are installed. For example, if patch A depends on patch B, and patch B is made obsolete by patch C, during the remediation against a baseline containing only patch A, Update Manager shows in the Events tab that patches A and B are installed. However, on the ESX Server machine, patches A and C are installed.+

This one is a notation about fixed baselines:

Remediation of ESX Server 3.5 and ESX 3.5 Update 1 Installs the Newer Version of a Patch
+ When you remediate ESX Server 3.5 and ESX 3.5 Update 1 against a fixed baseline, containing a patch that has an obsoleted prerequisite, the patch and the newer version of the prerequisite are installed on the host. This behavior has changed for ESX Server 3.5 Update 2 and only the required bundles in a fixed baseline are installed on the host during the remediation. For example, if patch A depends on patch B, and patch B is made obsolete by patch C, during the remediation of ESX Server 3.5 Update 2, patches A and B are installed on the host.+
When you remediate an ESX Server host against a dynamic baseline, the behavior has not changed, and the patch and the newer version of the prerequisite are installed on the host.

0 Kudos
gdesmo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My fixed based line was ignored (according to support) and patch ESX350-200806201-UG was installed. It's the one that is causing the licensing issue today/on 8-12-08. It also skewed my build number.

0 Kudos