VMware Cloud Community
Contributor
Contributor

Budget EXS 3.5 test system

Hi there,

I want to built a test system to use. The system will only use internal storage (350GB SATA disk). I was thinking of using a AMD x2 4600+ CPU, 2GB memory and a Gigabyte M61SME-S2l mobo. Will 3.5 run on this system? I have has a look through these forums and cant find an answer.

If this system is not appropriate, what is the budget solution?

Thanks,

+500000

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I'd be concerned with the model of SATA controller and NIC that is onboard. The NIC will probably not work, but you can add an Intel Pro1000 for that. You should be OK with the MCP61 SATA controller (it should be recognized, but is not supported). However, the RAID functionality will not work. Here are some other whiteboxes that have been tested by community members.

http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3.5/Whiteboxes_SATA_Controllers_for_ESX_3.5_3i.htm

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert

Did you already buy your mainboard? If not, the M2N-e from Asus is HIGHLY recommended. Onboard Gbit NIC works (saves you $30 for an intel Gbit NIC), onboard SATA works (saves you... well, a lot Smiley Wink). At a very decent price as well. Booting ESX from this system posed a problem, but this was easily fixed afterwards by:

1) install ESX

2) on reboot of the host, choose "service console olny (troubleshooting mode)"

3) login as root

4) type "lspci" and locate any unknown IDE or SATA controllers. write down the device ID.

5) edit "/etc/vmware/pciid/sata_nv.xml". Go to the end of the file, and modify the last entry to match the device ID from step 4.

6) run "esxcfg-pciid"

7) reboot and be amazed!

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link to the list. I am investigating it further now. I had seen some of the source posts, but thought it there may have been something more simple.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advice Erik. I still haven't purchased anything because i figured there was some traps for new players. As this is a test box for myself, i don't really want to invest too much in it. the mobo you have suggested looks pretty sweet. Availability may be an issue from my quick scan on the web.

0 Kudos