VMware Cloud Community
Ryan_1
Contributor
Contributor

Browse datastore in VIC

Hello,

i have got VC2.5 U2. i have got a weird issue that, when i browse the datastore in VIC, i dont see any data displayed though it has mutliple VMs running in it.

I have this issue in a cluster. None of the datastore is able to display the data on it. But i have all my VMs up & running.

If i connect the ESX server seperately in VIC, i'm able to see the data in all the datastore. But i've got issue, only in one cluster only if i connect to Virtual center server.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

what if you right click on the datastore(s) in question and choose refresh from the summary tab of your esx host within vCenter?

0 Kudos
Ryan_1
Contributor
Contributor

tried refreshing the datastore... but doesnt help me

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

restart the vpx agent on the host(s) in question

service vmware-vpxa restart

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried restarting virtual center service?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Ryan_1
Contributor
Contributor

i had restarted the VC server service.

but doesnt help either.

the weird part is that VIC is able to display the data in datastore, if i directly connect to ESX..... but its not displaying anything, if i connected to VC server

0 Kudos
Ryan_1
Contributor
Contributor

one more thing i tested is that, if i create a test folder in local storage of any ESX, i'm able to see the dir. in VIC.

but i cant see the same in LUN, even if i manually create a test dir. through ESX

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Still sounds like an issue with vc, or vc db. If you've already rescanned all storage adapters, and have restarted vc, the data should have refreshed in the vc. Are you using NFS datastore?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
Ryan_1
Contributor
Contributor

am not using NFS.

using SAN LUNs assigned from EMC.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you did try restarting the vpx agent, correct?

0 Kudos
Ryan_1
Contributor
Contributor

yes. i restarted the vpxa service. doesnt help me.

0 Kudos
Ryan_1
Contributor
Contributor

i couldnt see the data in datastore, either through web browser connection to VC server or through VIC connection to VC server.

But i'm able to see the data in datastore if i directly to connect to ESX in either of the ways.

This makes me to suspect the DB with VC server. Is there any way i can check in my SQL2005 DB, that i can see for this. i'm not tech savvy in DB. but i can see in the DB query to select all the datastores; i was able to see the datastore names & UUID.

this issue happens on all the datastores for the whole cluster.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not saying this will work or not, but if you can, have you tried to create a new cluster and move a host or hosts into that cluster and see if you can see the datastores? Or have you tried a disconnect and remove, then add it back into your cluster? Finally maybe just move a host outside of the cluster?

0 Kudos