VMware Cloud Community
bwiechman
Contributor
Contributor

Bridging Physical NIC

I have a VM that I am running a NMS application on that is licensed based on the MAC address and the IP address. Of course it nearly takes and act of God to get the license updated to reflect any kind of MAC/IP address change.

Is there a way that I can bridge a physical NIC through to a virtual machine so the physical MAC address is available on the guest?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know about this way, but you can assign your own fix MAC address in the guests .vmx file.

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, forgot something:

AWo

Message was edited by: Ken.Cline to shorten the URL

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
bwiechman
Contributor
Contributor

That works as long as I don't move the service off VMWare. I am hoping to use the actual physical MAC so that if I have to move the service off VMWare I can yank the NIC as well and everyone will be happy.

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert

Is there a way that I can bridge a physical NIC through to a virtual machine so the physical MAC address is available on the guest?

Can't be done, but there may be another way round it. If you are running a windows host you could try setting the MAC address as a property of the vNIC driver. Look under the advanced tab on the dialog.This overrides anything set by ESX - or so I'm told !

0 Kudos
bwiechman
Contributor
Contributor

That may be a solution. I'll have to play around with it a bit and see if it

breaks anything else.

Ben Wiechman

0 Kudos
ac57846
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would suggest not setting the MAC address of the VMs vNIC to one that is present on your physical environment.

If you want to set the vNIC to the MAC address of a physical NIC you have then put the physical NIC in a drawer in your desk to be used if you migrate the VM back to physical.

0 Kudos
bwiechman
Contributor
Contributor

Right... otherwise there will be some fun ARP issues. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bwiechman
Contributor
Contributor

This seems to work. There is a minor discrepancy in Virtual Center as it

does not pick up the configured MAC address, but both the application and

the network see the MAC I configured.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I created a static mac address using this http://www.run-virtual.com/?page_id=173 and then used the network properties within the O/S to override the MAC address so no matter what physical nic this system runs on it will always present the same MAC.

Of course its probably going to confuse people when an IBM or HP box gives out a vmware MAC...but thats half the fun anyhow 🐵

0 Kudos