VMware Cloud Community
ChrisLopes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Boot from SAN

Hi,

Would like to know why do people configure vmware boot from SAN.

If I would like to test it out using iscsci which means esx 3.5 boot from Iscsci, how do i configure it and what free Iscisci to test it out.

I'm using vmware workstation to test.

Tks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bobross
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Two good reasons (there are more): one, shared storage is required for Vmotion. two, boot from SAN is more reliable and much more flexible (e.g. different boot images) than boot from internal disk.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have a few blades that I boot from SAN and lack of local storage was the factor :). To boot ESX from an iSCSI SAN you would require a hardware iSCSI card.

ChrisLopes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Dave,

Can I used a open filer to test it out? In addition any good document on how to configure to boot from san such as what parition need to be installed on local disk or all esx partition install san.

Tks

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

if you have a hardware iscsi hba...

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
ChrisLopes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Any steps by steps on how to configure to boot from SAN assuming it is a blade server. I know how to setup the ESX Server on local storage.

Question is how does the ESX CD boot up from WHERE?

Thanks

0 Kudos
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Have a read through the iSCSI SAN Configuration guide which contains a section on boot from SAN

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_iscsi_san_cfg.pdf

----- Mark Atherton
bobross
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Two good reasons (there are more): one, shared storage is required for Vmotion. two, boot from SAN is more reliable and much more flexible (e.g. different boot images) than boot from internal disk.

0 Kudos
ChrisLopes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear guru,

Let say I have 4 blade server.

Scenario 1

2 Blade server with no local hard disk, blade 1 and Blade 2

Scenario 2

Another 2 blade server with local hard disk, Blade 3 and Blade 4.

During installation of esx when it I go to BIOS to select the HBA to rescan the LUN, I assume on the esx recommended partition will be installed on one of the LUN.

Now, when I do a similar installation for blade 2, I guess Blade 2 will see that Lun and format the blade 1 which I have configured. How do I avoid this as I need a vmotion from this secenario 1 boot from SAN

For Secnario2,

If I have local hard disk, say blade 3 and would like to boot from SAN, what are the recommened partition to be installed on SAN? Is it possible to install only /boot only on SAN and the rest on local partition?

Thanks

0 Kudos