VMware Cloud Community
Malawa
Contributor
Contributor

Big vmware.log

Hi,

My vmware.log on several VM (but not all) are getting really big i.e. more then 400M each. I can't access the running log, tail returning a busy error, but here what I found looking at an older big log for the sames VMs :

Dec 05 20:33:37.482: vmx| VMXVmdb_LoadRawConfig: Loading raw config

Dec 05 20:33:40.414: vmx| TOOLS received request in VMX to set option 'synctime' -> '0'

Dec 05 20:33:40.417: vmx| VMXVmdb_LoadRawConfig: Loading raw config

Dec 05 20:33:42.932: vmx| TOOLS received request in VMX to set option 'synctime' -> '0'

Dec 05 20:33:42.935: vmx| VMXVmdb_LoadRawConfig: Loading raw config

Dec 05 20:33:46.724: vmx| TOOLS received request in VMX to set option 'synctime' -> '0'

Dec 05 20:33:46.727: vmx| VMXVmdb_LoadRawConfig: Loading raw config

Dec 05 20:33:49.456: vmx| TOOLS received request in VMX to set option 'synctime' -> '0'

Dec 05 20:33:49.459: vmx| VMXVmdb_LoadRawConfig: Loading raw config

Dec 05 20:33:51.700: vmx| TOOLS received request in VMX to set option 'synctime' -> '0'

Dec 05 20:33:51.703: vmx| VMXVmdb_LoadRawConfig: Loading raw config

Dec 05 20:33:54.180: vmx| TOOLS received request in VMX to set option 'synctime' -> '0'

As you can see, these log entry repeat themself many time in a minute so it's explain the big log. Now, the real question Smiley Happy

What it's the meanning of theses errors ?

Thanks !

By the way, if someone know a document where I can find information on the meanning of error in vmware log, you're really welcome to tell me Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Hi,

The errors looks like some thing to related to the VMware tools trying to do a time sync with ESX server. I think disabling time sync option in VMware tools with the guest may solve this you can sync the VM directly to some time sync server.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
therealgordon
Contributor
Contributor

I would examine, if the tools are installed correctly or install them again. Are the vmware tools up to date for the VMs with the big logs? Is there another thing that the VMs with the big logs have in common (e.g. imported and not created on the ESX; certain OS)?