VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Best use of 6 ESX CPU License

We are currently running three ESX 3.5 Hosts at HQ. We are going to deploy ESX Hosts at one of our remote site. Currenly, we have 6 extra ESX CPU license available that can be used by servers at the remote site.

We would like to set up 2 ESX Host Servers at Remote site with DRS and HA enabled. We would like to know should be set up

1) 1 x 4 CPU Host + 1 x 2 CPU Host

2) 2 x 3 CPU Host ?

Moreover, does it mean that we should create another Cluster for those ESX Hosts at remote site ? In this way, there will be 2 clusters at our site - 1 for HQ, 1 for Remote Site ?

We have been using EMC CX3-20 at our HQ. If we consider using the remote site as a DR site (If possible), is it necessary for us to add more HD to our existing CX3-20 SAN at HQ ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

If you require HA & DRS at the remote site, you will need to create a second cluster (Unless the remote site shares the same storage via a stretched fabric).

I don't know what to say regarding the licences, go with the best boxes you can within the budget you have available. Keeping them identical will make life easier.

spex
Expert
Expert

To avoid unnecessary cost I would only use as many licence's as you really need. I don't know your performance needs at remote, but consider following scenarios:

If your remote site is a small location:

2 or 3 server (2 cpu sockets) - each only with 1 CPU - 4 core - 16GByte RAM

(VMware allows to split 2 cpu licenses). Later if needed install second cpu.

If your remote site is a large location:

2 or 3 server (4 cpu sockets) - each with 2 CPU - 4core 64 Byte RAM

Later if needed install 2 more cpu's

Regards Spex

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

It depends on your needs. CPU license is socket based, so 6 licenses mean you can have 6*4 = 24 cores. In most cases 8 cores per host is more than enough.

Do you really need 16-core host? 3 hosts are always better than 2 because of availability. Let's imagine you lost one host - in case of 3 same hosts you lost only 33% processing power and you can restart VM's on 2 remaining hosts. With HA you can do it for sure and do it automatically. In the case of 2 hosts, 4 way and 2 way, if 2 way host is down - 4 way can take load the same way as with 3 2-way hosts, you just have to have enough memory on it. But if 4-way host fails only 33% processing power remains.

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Personally, I don't like having an uneven number of sockets used, other than 1. So, I would not populate a server with 3 CPU. Either keep it at 2 or 4, but not 3. If you have the hardware, I'd use 3x2-CPU servers, or, go with option 1, 1x4-CPU and and 1x2-cpu.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

kjb007, is this just a matter of taste or you have technical considerations?

With such a small number of hosts is better to have same CPU power on both hosts. If host fails - 50% power remains. With 4 and 2 way servers - 33% and 66%. As for me, 2 quad CPUs are enough for almost any ESX host unless you are absolutely sure you need 4 quads. Set up third host to gain redundancy and load balancing.

Or you can set up 6 single CPU hosts with 4-cores per CPU. For ex. buy 6 dual socket servers with 1 CPU installed only. This is the most redundant way. And if you need more CPU power - you can always buy some more licenses.

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I've seen this as a requirement on some hardware, and prefer it this way as well. One certain other hardware, I don't remember exactly which, but the sockets, unless it was only 1 CPU, had to be balanced, so you had to use 2, 4, 8. Depends on the chipset they are using, I suppose.

If you are concerned with DR, I can tell you that in my environment, memory appears to be the limiting factor, and not CPU.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

it's not an option in your post but I would go for 3 x 2 cpu server.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

i would go for 3 x 2cpu server.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos