VMware Cloud Community
lorimer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Best practices for 4 NICs?

We are using Dell 10th gen blade chassis for our ESX environment. We have 2 fiberchannel cards for storage and 4 networking cards for every box. I am torn as to the best way to handle these 4 NICs'. I wanted to create a separate vmkernel network, but find it hard to justify using 2 NICs for vmkernel (redundancy). I teamed all 4 NICs and share them for vmkernel and guest networks (traffic is separated by vlans). Yesterday 1 of our 4 switches failed, and all of the hosts lost connectivity. It is making me rethink our networking setup.

What are others doing when they only have 4 NICs available? What is the recommended configuration for vmkernel and guest networks?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vSwitch0:

Service Console and Vmotion Network: vmnic0/2 each is a standbye for each other

vSwitch1:

Virtual Machine Port Group: vmnic1/3 all active

hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vSwitch0:

vSwitch1:

hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Troy's layout sounds good to me.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Troys config is about the best you can do with 4 NICs

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Like everyone else has said Troy's layout for 4 NICs is just about as good as you can do. Using vmnic0 and vmnic2 gives you seperation (hopefully of physical NIC failure / bus failure) along with the same concept for your vm network vmnic1 and vmnic3

Since you had a switch go down and lost all connections on that switch, you might want to think about splitting up the 2 sets of nics to different switches, like vmnic0 goes to switch 1 and vmnic2 goes to switch 4 which would give you added redundancy

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have been using the same setup as Troy mentions. Its the best you can get with 4 nics.

Each vswitch has two pNics. Each pNic goes to a seperate physical switch. This is handled by VLANs and dot1q link aggregation. We also then use iphash load balancing in the vswitches.

This gives us a fault tolerant and better performing virtual network configuration.

Essentially work can be carried out on a core switch requiring downtime or a failure of a NIC or cable cut/unplugged and it would still carry on going. :smileygrin:

Andy, VMware Certified Professional (VCP),

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
0 Kudos
lorimer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All 4 NICs are on completely separate network fabrics. Separate

switches, separate uplinks, etc. My only hesitation is that it seems

like a ton of overkill and waste to have 2 NICs dedicated to vmkernel

and vmotion. The real traffic actually happens on the other networks.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If it is all done on a Gig switch, it really isn't that much overkill. In reality if you look at esxtop networking how much bandwidth are you really using on your hosts? Enough to bog down even one nic? I doubt it, we run a simular setup as yours (plus an additional 2 pNics dedicated for DMZ) and we don't even come close to using all the bandwidth on one Gig NIC

Also it wont seem like overkill when you have one of your mgmt/sc NICs go down and you don't have a redundant NIC there to pick up the slack Smiley Happy

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

it is nothing to do with performance but more to do with reslilance and security. by having physical seperation of your Service console and Vmotion networks you are minimising the risks of compromisation.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
lorimer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess the question I should be asking is: Why physical NIC separation instead of vlans? If I do vlans, I can have 4 active NICs for everything. I have double the redundancy, and double the available capacity for each side. I still have traffic separation through the tagged vlans.

0 Kudos
Hairyman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i am looking at purchasing the M series blades in the future, we have a FC datastore now (EMC CX3-20) and was going to spec the same nic configas the opening poster. However i was hoping to start looking at getting some EQL boxes as well.

How would the nic setup go then if you had 2x FC and 4x ethernet as your config?

Cheers

Aaron

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

exactly the same way, FC x2 for multipath to san,

NIC 0 - Service Console failover to NIC2
NIC 2 - VMotion/VMKernel failover to NIC0
NIC 1 & 3 Production VLANs

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Why not put all pNICs in a single vSwitch, and use the same failover order as mentioned. This maximizes flexibility in NIC config and failover. Antoher upside is that you have to configure a single vSwitch isntead of two, downside is that you have to set priority on the uplinks (active/standby/unused).

Nice thing about this setup is, that you are even able to failover production networks to NIC0 or 2 if you wish. Using two vSwitches cannot accomplish this level of failover. The use of dot1q trunks is highly recommended in a setup like this.

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos
pencer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm still learning so could someone explain this please?

vSwitch0:

vSwitch1:

hope this helps.

Why not have both nics in vswitch0 as active?

I've seen it mentioned several times so i'm sure there's a good reason for it.

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

What Troy is trying to point out is, that you can actually tell ESX to use one NIC for vmotion, and never use the other NIC right until a link fails. So when both links are up, SC and vmotion each have their own NIC so to speak. As soon as any of the two NICs fail, the affected communication will failover to the NIC that is still "up".

So basically this configuration separates both network streams, but still allows for failover.

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos
seceti
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can i use the same nic for service console and Vmotion?

In my network setup i have one single nic on a separate physical switch dedicated only for Vmotion network

I have 4 hosts with 6 network card, 2 on board and other 4 plug in pci-express slot, i have created one Vswitch only for virtual machine, and put all for network card into Vswitch, via vlan i can chose where to put VM.

In physical switch i have set all ports where the network card are connected, tagged for al Vlan that i need to use

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, you can. But I do not recommend to do this.

There will be heavy traffic on VMotion interface during VM migration.

---

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
bportnoy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We currently have three vSwitches:

vSwitch0 (vmnic0) - Service Console

vSwitch1 (vmnic1) - VMotion and Secondary Service Console (as part of the HA clustering best practices - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100264...

vSwitch2 (vmnic2 & vmnic3) - vm's

Cheers,

Ben

0 Kudos
Hairyman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry Tom i don't think i explained my question properly. yes that would be the initial setup but what would i change it to if i was to include iSCSI into the mix ?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

both NICs are infact active, but only for one set of traffic,

NIC0 is active for Service console traffic and the failover standby for VMotion/VMkernal

and

NIC2 is active for VMotion/VMKernel and standby for Servece Console traffic

Tom Howarth