VMware Cloud Community
jredwine2857
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Best practice for Backup Exec jobs when using VCB

I am using VCB to backup 7 different VM's. We are using the bexec scripts and all seems to work and perform very well. We are going to backup both the vmdk's and at the file level.

My question is, how are most people creating their jobs in backup exec? Are they creating a separate jobs for each vm being backed? For each method (i.e. file vs. vmdk)

Or, are they just creating one big job that mounts and dismounts the vm's one at a time and backs up to tape/disk.

Here's what I was planning:

- Separate jobs for every vm and each method. I will have 14 total jobs in Bexec going this route.

My only issue with this is dealing with the media sets and appending the backups of 14 separate jobs. I'd really love to avoid the complexity of dealing with media sets if at all possible.

Is anyone doing all of their VM's in a single job?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

My question is, how are most people creating their jobs in backup exec? Are they creating a separate jobs for each vm being backed? For each method (i.e. file vs. vmdk)

It depends also by the free space on stage area.

But normally is a good idea to not mix different type of backup (for the different method).

Separate jobs for every vm and each method. I will have 14 total jobs in Bexec going this route.

Usually a good idea.

My only issue with this is dealing with the media sets and appending the backups of 14 separate jobs. I'd really love to avoid the complexity of dealing with media sets if at all possible.

Just create a media set, and set the append time for this media set to 23h.

Use this media set for ALL jobs (best is use one media set for full backup and one for file level).

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
jredwine2857
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Andre,

Thanks bro!

I started with separate jobs at first, but then found out I could just add more vm's to the command. As long you have the staging are space, it seems to work ok. Other than if one snapshot fails, ALL VM's fail and the job craps out. (which is a definite downside)

So now I have 1 job that backs up 5 vm's and 2 separate jobs for other very large vm's. I then run one job that does a file level backup of 3 important vm's.

Now my issue is trying to perfect the jobs.

We have an LTO4 tape and all of our jobs equal up to about 95% of the tape capacity. Now I know VCB takes a ton of storage, but does anyone have any creative solutions they are using with VCB and their backup application to fully protect their data?

Just looking to see what others are doing.

Thanks in advance for any who contribute!

0 Kudos
jredwine2857
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is anyone else starting to question the efficacy of VCB with Backup Exec? I mean for as much as this product costs, it sure does suck!! First all of the cmd line introduces about 9 million typos in the beginning, then the snapshots work about and blow up about 50% of the time. Am I the only person who feels like this whole VCB product is a house of cards? Sure doesn't seem ready for the enterprise to me.

Everyone involved in this project is ready to drop vcb.

0 Kudos
jredwine2857
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well we seem to have this running OK. it still is flakey and doesn't always delete the snapshots from the night before. Basically we just babysit it and check to make sure the staging area is clean and that no snapshots exists for any of our VM's.

We also had a problem with one of our Windows 2000 boxes. VCB does not seem to play well with Win2k. We just removed this VM from the VCB routinge and are backing it up the old fashioned way.

Otherwise it's working.

0 Kudos
mtrento
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hello ,

we have over 80 VM to backup on a media server with 3 single LTO4 library and 3.5 TB of storage , using individual jobs per vm generate more hassle and may lead to backup configuration errors in the backup.

We set up 2 different backups strategy : daily and weekly ; daily for most important servers , and weekly for those that need less

backup accuracy and those that only need a few files to backup everyday (database dumps) , these files are backuped with sheduled task script inside the vm)

we have one scheduled vcb script per strategy , the vcb export all the vm to separate folders (daily and weekly) (you need a huge disk storage for that )

then later , backup exec is scheduled some time after the end of the vcb export.

we separate the vcb backup and regular file backup job we have 3 jobs : 2 daily backup (1 for the vcb and 1 for the regular file backup on different lto) and 1 weekly backup job ( for the weekly vcb) which is scheduled on saturday on the third LTO.

the vcb script take care of removing old backup before the snapshot.

the only issue we have is when the two daily job crossover ,it reduce the backup rate. We have to adjust the job schedule from time to time.

Regards

Massimo

0 Kudos