VMware Cloud Community
tlnguyen
Contributor
Contributor

Best Prectices in upgrating Vi from 3.02 to 3.5 update 3

Hi VMWARE Communities,

I have been giving the tasks to upgrade our ESX invionnement form 3.0.2 to 3.5 update 3.

Wondering if there is a best practices document i can refer to.

Help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JasonBarnes
Contributor
Contributor

It's very easy,

Ensure you upgrade VirtualCenter first. (ensure to backup database)

Then once all ESX vpx agents are finished upgrading.

Upgrade each esx host one at a time.

-------------------------- Thanks, Jason Barnes VPS-Hosting www.vps-hosting.ca ESX Server Hosting :: Server Co-Location :: Support Services
0 Kudos
jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

you can find useful info here:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_upgrade_guide.pdf

regards

Jose Ruelas

Jose B Ruelas http://aservir.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

If your vCenter Server is not already at 2.5, you must upgrade that first. If you are already running vCenter 2.5, make sure your build level is at or above the final build level of ESX. If I were you I would go to U4 for vCenter.

As for the 3.0.x to 3.5.x, in my opinion that is a big JUMP, I would do a rolling rebuild as apposed to a upgrade. Finally, after all ESX hosts are at the final build level, upgrade you VMware Guest Tools.

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you're using fibre channel storage etc - it's always a good idea to disconnect it also so that you don't trash your vmfs volumes. This may/maynot apply to your environment?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

the first thing you should do is a check the HCL's to confirm your ESX hardware is still on the supported list. then Upgrade your vCenter server -> then your hosts -> then your VMtools. that order or else you will not be in a nice place and will be manageing host directly.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
tlnguyen
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Troy,

Why would you recommend a rebuild ? is it because there is a lot of problems upgrading this far ?

After I backup My Vcenter Database, what do I do ? I just put in the Cd and click on install and follow the instructions ? Is that simple to upgrade my Vcenter 2.0 to 2.5 U4 ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Why would you recommend a rebuild ? is it because there is a lot of problems upgrading this far ?

3.0.x to 3.5 was a major release and a lot of features were added. In my opinion doing an upgrade may leave remnants of the 3.0.x build. So, I feel the rebuild is cleaner and really doesn't take all that much longer

After I backup My Vcenter Database, what do I do ? I just put in the Cd and click on install and follow the instructions ? Is that simple to upgrade my vCenter 2.0 to 2.5 U4 ?

Start the upgrade process to 2.5U4. There will be a pretty signifigant schema upgrade, so it may take an hour or so for the final upgrade to complete, just be patient.

Also, going to 2.5 will require elevated permissions on your DB, as well as the SQL Native Driver. This KB may be helpful

Administrative Credentials Are Required for Oracle and SQL Server Databases When Installing or Upgra...

tlnguyen
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Troy,

Do you know if Update 4 supports SQL server 2000 ? This is my VC database version.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

According to the VMware Infrastructure Compatibility Matrixes you are ok.... See page 10

0 Kudos
tlnguyen
Contributor
Contributor

From the info I got. I will try this.

Move my sql 2000 to a sql 2005.

Upgrade Vc to 2.5 and during my upgrade, change the odbc settings.

Rebuild my ESX environment.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

just note this KB for SQL 2005 and permissions

and this maybe helpful for moving SQL

0 Kudos