VMware Cloud Community
Bart_VK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Beacon probing & notify switches

Hi,

Since there is not much of documentation concerning the beacon probing & notify switches functionlity in VMware I wonder which protocol this is and if this is supported on all switches or only on a certain number of switches. If this is only supported on a number of switches, how can I determine on which switches that this functionality is supported ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

as far as I know, there's no compatibility list for switches. You'd have to get your switch vendor to state whether a certain model is compliant or not.

btw, there are switches that can do a similar thing: they can put downlink ports in "link down" when their own uplink port is down. That's the functionality we gain from beaconing, but without beaconing this time Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

beaconing is only supported on certain switches, because it is an action that requires an appropriate answer from the switch.

notify switches is supported on all switches, because it is just a way of triggering the MAC learning algorithm in a switch earlier than normal.

Bart_VK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bert,

How can I determine in advance on which switches beacon probing is possible or not ?

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

as far as I know, there's no compatibility list for switches. You'd have to get your switch vendor to state whether a certain model is compliant or not.

btw, there are switches that can do a similar thing: they can put downlink ports in "link down" when their own uplink port is down. That's the functionality we gain from beaconing, but without beaconing this time Smiley Happy

0 Kudos