VMware Cloud Community
caddo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Backup Datastore01 to Datastore02

I have a 3 node cluster and i'm planning to add a Datastore to backup all my VMs; the idea is to copy all of them without the need to convert them using VCB or any other means to save time.

I'm looking to a way, i guess a script, to do this on the fly so that i don't have to plan downtime for my VMs; the fact is that i am not that good with scripting and i don't know the commands needed to snapshot and copy all the Datastore.

Differential copy would be great.

If any of you can give some indication or provide a full script would be fantastic.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

If you're looking at just replicating your VMs from one datastore to another, a free solution similar to VCB, take a look at this: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8760

=========================================================================

--William

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Selekta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would highly recommend backing up your VMs using VCB or another tool like vRanger. It takes the load of the backup off the ESX server and allows you to store the VM's off site.

If this answer was helpful please consider rewarding points.

If this answer was helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
caddo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm already using VCB but i am forced to "extract" all VMs from the VI to some other place and this means converting all VMs which takes a long time plus makes Disaster Recovery longer.

If i could use VCB to copy everything on a different Datastore i would be pretty happy because this would mean to make minimal changes to the actual setup.

I would also be willing to let ESX hosts to do the job, i will be scheduling it at night time when CPU needs are minimal and i will find a way to schedule it in a smart way.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

If you're looking at just replicating your VMs from one datastore to another, a free solution similar to VCB, take a look at this: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8760

=========================================================================

--William

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

0 Kudos
caddo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Wow, that was the deal!

Points awarded!

0 Kudos