VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Backing up transactional databases with VCB

I read a few posts with statements to this affect "Make sure you do NOT have the VM Tools "File Sync Driver" installed - it will eventually break your database!". I haven't read an explanation of why this is or how dire it is. It seems like if this is a major problem, it would be noted somewhere in VMwares VCB or ESX documentation. I haven't found anything. Can someone provide more detail?

Also, our environment consists of the latest ESX 3.5 builds, latest Virtual Center build, and the latest VCB build. How does the VSS support in VMware tools affect the statement above? If I have the VSS support enabled, do I need to modify VMware tools to uninstall the "File Sync Driver"? I'd rather not have a different installation of VMware Tools on database severs.

Lastly, with only the "File Sync Driver" installed, that statement would lead me to believe an Active Directory DB would be in equal danger?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
2 Replies
six
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

how to deactivate file sync driver: go to device manager in your windows vm; check show hidden devices; now you should found the file sync driver in your devices; right click && say deactivate ...

note: never backup a windows domain controller with VCB!

bg six

joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

since 3.5u2 you are good to go. check out:

http://www.riether.com/2008/09/vss-support-in-esx35u2-cute-stuff.html

best regards

Joerg

0 Kudos