VMware Cloud Community
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Backing up VMDK files

What is the best way to back up a .vmdk file and restore it to another ESX host?

I tried copying the vm directory (with .vmdk and .vmx files) to a Windows server from the ESX host, but it failed with

a "file size limit exceeded" when it got to 2GB.

Does anyone know why this happens or a better solution?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You will need all of the files. Then from the host, browse the datastore, right click on the vmx file and add to inventory. That should be it.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

WinSCP should be able to copy the files back and forth. I use VCB to backup VM's up, and have restored VM's with those backups. The file copy should work if you get the files copied though.

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the resonse.

When I copy them to a datastore on another ESX server, do I just need the vmdk or will I need all the files in the vm's directory?

Anything else special I'll need to do to add that to a different host?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You will need all of the files. Then from the host, browse the datastore, right click on the vmx file and add to inventory. That should be it.

Charles Killmer, VCP

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos