VMware Cloud Community
fmdj
Contributor
Contributor

Automatic HA/DRS migration while going into maintenance mode failed

Hi there,

I ve the following problem:

I got two ESX3 servers with HA/DRS enabled. One hots runs 9 VMs and the other one none. If I put the ESX Server with the 9 VMs in maintenance mode, I get an error: "Unable to automatically migrate " for all the 9 VMs. I have to manually cancel the maintenance mode. If I do the same procedure a secound time, nearly all the VMs migrate to the other server. After the third try normally every VM is migrated. So whats the problem?

Manual migration works fine for each host. Are 9 VMs too much to migrate at once? Is there anything I can check out?

Thx

FMDJ

0 Kudos
6 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion

It seems that HA isn't an intelligent algorithm

Check this:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=77135

I guess you have here similar situation - for HA to few resources.

0 Kudos
fmdj
Contributor
Contributor

Interessting, but I dont its a ressource problem here...

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Have you checked the logs there:

/opt/LGTOaam512/log

0 Kudos
fmdj
Contributor
Contributor

Anything specific I should look for? Found nothing suspicious...

Already reenabled DRS, but didnt changed anything...

0 Kudos
Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a 3 host with 18 guest over it and when I try to put any of the host into maintenance mode ,for some host it migrate all the guest over to other host and then put it into maintenance mode. When it exit the maintenance mode all the guest should be redistrubted but that's happening. VMware confirmed that it is a bug with maintenance mode and bug#151286.

Thanks

Funtoosh

0 Kudos
Griffonstone
Contributor
Contributor

A collegue of mine has found an interesting way about doing this:

Change this setting Under admission control : Allow virtual machines to be powered on even if they violate availibility constraints.

as oppossed to, "Do not power on virtual machines if they violate availability constraints"

0 Kudos