VMware Cloud Community
Heartstealer
Contributor
Contributor

Attaching an uplink on the switch with Service console makes service console go down.

Hi Guys,

I have a weird problem. When i was configuring my ESX Virtual Networking part i encountered this. This is what i am trying to achieve. I have 8 NICs. 4 of them on a broadcom and another 4 on intel.My server is a DELL R905 with 2 Quad core opteron nd 64 gigs in it.

Need to make 2 Virtual Switches. One for SC and Vmotion. vSwitch0 contains 2 portmaps one for SC, another for VMK and other vSwitch1 with 4 NICs for Vmnetwork.

I need to attach 2 ports from Intel and 2 from BC to vSwitch0. vmNIC0(Broadcom and will be primary) and vmNIC4(Intel and will be standby) for SC.

I need to attach 2 ports from Intel and 2 from BC to vSwitch0. vmNIC0(Broadcom and will be primary) and vmNIC4(Intel and will be standby) for VMK portmap.

I have vmNIC0 already attached to the vSwitch0 and used to Service Console portmap works fine.

I start on vSwitch0 and add vmNIC4 nothing happens, then vmNIC1 also goes through however as soon as I attach vmNIC5 whole connectivity to the ESX goes down. Implies service console connectivity goes down ... with out modifying Service Console portmap.

What I am doing wrong here? Is my NIC gone bad ... anything on the network side? We are connecting to a Cisco 6504. Can i be bacuse of an IP Conflict ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is this new jic on the same vlan as the other nic's or is the NIC configured as a trunk? A VLAN mismatch could be causing this.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Sounds like a VLAN issue or perhaps you are trunking two trunks to the same VLAN.

However your write up sounds like overkill. Why have 4 pNICs for the SC? Perhaps it just was not clear. 2 is all that is really required.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos