VMware Cloud Community
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Attaching LUNs to the Disaster Recovery hosts

Hi

For a DR scenario, we will be replicating the LUNs of the production environment to the DR center. In this center there will be a number of ESX hosts and I'm not sure if you should already connect them to the replica LUNs (which will only be in Read-Only mode) or wait untill there is a disaster. Also, for testing purposes there will be a number of LUNs that will receive a SAN falshcopy of the replicated LUNs. Should I already connect those?

I'm aware of the DisallowSnapShutLUN option and the resignaturing of the LUNs.

Gabrie

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
whynotq
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

yes, SRM, when it arrives will do this for you in the mean time you may want to take a snapshot of the LUNs and allow them to be accessed just whilst you test. this way you avoid having to re-create the replicated LUNs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeeWee
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Gabrie,

You might want to use the upcoming SRM for that. This automates all these steps for you.

Wil send you a personal e-mail.

MR-T
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Whenever I've conducted this type of DR setup I only present the LUNS to the DR ESX hosts during a disaster.

Then simply perform a rescan to pick them up.

Finally you need to register the virtual machines contained on these LUNS with the new hosts.

whynotq
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

yes, SRM, when it arrives will do this for you in the mean time you may want to take a snapshot of the LUNs and allow them to be accessed just whilst you test. this way you avoid having to re-create the replicated LUNs.

0 Kudos
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Thank you for the replies. SRM was on my which list Smiley Happy But I can't wait untill then. Gonna see what the storage guys think about the answers.

Gabrie

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
0 Kudos