VMware Cloud Community
nordsj
Contributor
Contributor

Assistance with SVC Implementation

Currently all servers are 3.02 update1, we are implementing a SVC that will manage a DS4800 and a EMC CX 700, mostly all VMs reside on the DS4800.. about 120 of them in total.

My question is how do I go about implementing the SVC with my current ESX VMFS volumes that reside on the DS4800 when it comes to VMware ESX, I know that for windows I can just do a rescan and my LUNs / Data will all be there intact. Can I do the same for VMware or do I need to enable lun resignaturing, I'm trying to avoid reinventoring 120 some VMs.

I guess if someone knows the process or can provide some assistance that would be great.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ax_s
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If the LUNs get new WWNs, the ESX hosts will recognize them as snapshot volume.

You can try to set LVM.DisallowSnapshot to 0 and then attach the LUN. Then the volume will be used without resignaturing. As far as I know you don't have to reinventory the VMs.

Then you can do a cold migration of the VMs to a new volume. I know this is a bit annoying, but I think it's the best way.

If you want to avoid this, you have to configure all hosts for using snapshots and keep this forever, but I think this is not recommended.

Axel

0 Kudos
troberts
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'd start by review the following document

Using VMware ESX Server with IBM System Storage SAN Volume Controller

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/svd_technote_IBM.pdf

0 Kudos