VMware Cloud Community
TimothyGaray
Contributor
Contributor

Assigning VMs to Specific Hosts in HA-DRS Cluster

I have a cluster and in that cluster I have 3 ESX 3.x hosts. HA and DRS are configured for the cluster.

Also in that cluster are 10 VMs. Among those VMs are two domain controllers.

How would I configure the system so that both domain controllers don't end up migrated (automatically) to the same ESX host? In reality, I don't care which one is on which host as long as they are never together. If that host fails while both domain controllers are there then I'm in trouble.

I thought for sure I'd seen that this could be done but I can't figure out how. If someone could tell me what I need to do or point me to the appropriate instructions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MR-T
Immortal
Immortal

You need to setup an anti-affinity rule.

Through DRS you can do this.

1) Right click the cluster and select properties.

2) Beneath DRS rules, click the Add button.

3) Select the rule type and select your VM's. (Seperate virtual machines) is what you need to select.

If you have DRS setup to automatically move machines, these VM's will be pushed apart if someone moves them together. If you're setup is semi-automatic then you'll recieve a 5 star migration recommendation when the rule is broken.

0 Kudos
TimothyGaray
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. I found it last night.

I had an issue with HA on one of the hosts last weekend so I had DRS disabled.

Once I enabled it last night then I found the rules.

Thanks for your help!

I've opted for the full automatic - I like the idea of never knowing from one minute to the next where my servers are!

0 Kudos