VMware Cloud Community
gkrishnag
Contributor
Contributor

Assigning VM's to single CPU

Hi

I have a question on sharing the CPU by VM's.

While i allocate the CPU to each VM, is it possible for me to assign the same CPU to another VM, if yes then how can i do that and how do i verify?

How many VM's can i host on same CPU.

Krishna

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

yes you - by setting the cpu affinity for the VM you can force the VM to run on any cpu you set - you can force as many VMs to run on the same processor however this is not best practice - the vmkernel is actively scheduling the vms on all available processors so by doing this impairs the vmkernels ability to deliver cpu resources - so I do not recommend doing this -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Like was said before you can do this, but it is not recommended. ESX vmkernal does a very good job of scheduling resources to the VMs that need them, I would look at other options such as resource pools or other methods before resorting to assigning a whole CPU to a VM. I believe you can only assign 1 VM to 1 core, I don't believe you can assign a group of VMs to only use a specific cpu core.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos