VMware Cloud Community
davev
Contributor
Contributor

Array has been expanded but VMWare does not see the new space, why?

We extended/expanded our existing RAID 5 array over the weekend (adding a new 300 GB SCSI to our DL 380 using the HP SmartStart ACU). The HP ACU incorporated the new disk into the array without issue. However when I launched the VMWare Infrastructure Client and rescanned the storage adapter and then tried to "Add Extent" the new disk is not displayed. Is there a VMWare utility I need to execute for the host to see the new drive. If you know of a thread that covers this please post, I'll keep looking.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Well two issues:

1) The rule is 1 VMFS or extent PER LUN at any time. Otherwise you will have serious locking issues. So adding in the additional space as an extent of an existing LUN is not suggested. However since you are using local storage the locking issues will not be a huge issue.

2) In order to add an extent you need a partition. You only added space but it is currently unpartitioned so pretty much unavailable. You can add partitions by hand if you want using fdisk. Caveat: Local storage this is possible, remote storage this is a very bad thing to do.

THe best bet is if, you desire to extend your array is to create a new array of the appropriate size and move everything to it then destroy the old array. However, it looks like everything is Local storage, does the host have remote storage capability? iSCSI/NFS/ or SAN?

If you are like me and do not have the space available to such a copy, I recommend that you use a backup tool (VCB, vRanger, etc) and create a good backup then destroy then recreate the storage within ESX.

So there are the caveats but with local storage you need to create a new partition that encompasses the space and then you can add the extent.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky, author of the forthcoming 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', publishing January 2008, (c) 2008 Pearson Education.

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
davev
Contributor
Contributor

You are correct, this is all local storage. This server does attach to a SAN but if possible I would rather not have to copy all the data over and destroy/recreate arrays. Also we'd be cutting it close with storage space on the SAN. So for now I plan to run fdisk from the VMWare host machine on the new local disk, create a partition on the new local disk, and then utilize the VM Infrastructure Client to add it as an extent. You mentioned "locking issues", so I'm guessing I should do this after hours when users have left (or are we talking about other locking issues)? I should be ok using this method correct?

I'll come back and award points after I'm done. Thank you!

0 Kudos
davev
Contributor
Contributor

So I may have a problem. As mentioned above I am trying to extend the existing storage array on the VM host to include a fourth local 300GB SCSI device (already have 3 * 300GB scsi's installed). My plan was to fdisk the new disk and then partition and use "Add Extent" from the VMWare Client interface to add it to the overall storage. I ran # fdisk -l and after talking to VMWare it appears this ESX server may have been setup as one big volume. I was told you cannot extend the array if it is located on the same volume as the system. Do my fdisk results support this conclusion? That is my ESX server is installed as one volume and therefore I cannot add to my storage space and my only option is to start from scratch and be sure to set the system up on its own LUN?

1. fdisk -l

Disk /dev/cciss/c0d0: 899.9 GB

255 heads, 32 sectors, 215414 cylinders

Unit = cylinders of 8160 * 512 = 4177920 bytes

Devices Boot Start End Blocks ID System

dev/cciss/c0d0p1 * 1 25 101984 83 Linux

dev/cciss/c0d0p2 26 1279 5116320 83 Linux

dev/cciss/c0d0p3 1280 142947 578005440 fb Unknown

dev/cciss/c0d0p4 142948 143609 2700960 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)

dev/cciss/c0d0p5 142948 143083 554864 82 Linux Swap

dev/cciss/c0d0p6 143084 143584 2044064 83 Linux

dev/cciss/c0d0p7 143585 143609 101984 fc Unknown

0 Kudos