VMware Cloud Community
akatombo
Contributor
Contributor

Arcserve "pre_backup.pl" script doesn't make a snapshot on ESX 3.0.1

Has anybody successfully restored an ESX 3.0.1 VM backed up by the Arcserve 11.5 Linux agent (i.e. agent installed in the Service Console)?

I configured everything per CA's VMware Best Practice Guide, and the helpful posts on this forum. The resulting backup jobs get everything except the active delta & vswp files. However, the CA_SNAP file referenced in the CA doc doesn't get created, and when I delete the vm from the datastore and restore it from backup, the vm can't start.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
akatombo
Contributor
Contributor

AHA! I tracked down fix QO82899 on the CA supportconnect website. It contains an updated version of the pre_backup.pl script which DOES create CA_SNAP.

I'm running a backup now, when it's finished I'll delete the VM and start a restore tonight. We'll see how it turns out tomorrow, my last restore took 7 hours (see other posts about slow restores to vmfs volumes).

0 Kudos
akatombo
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, it's still broken. The backup and restore jobs both ran with no errors in Arcserve, and I can re-register the restored VM, but when I try to start it up, it throws this error (which I think is a red herring) about 20 times:

"This CPU is VT-capable, but VT is not enabled (check your BIOS settings)."

Then it gets to what is presumably the real problem:

"VMware ESX server cannot find the virtual disk '/vmfs/volumes/000002-vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Reason: The system cannot find the file specified."

When I browse the datastore, the vmdk file and all the snapshot files are there. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
StartESX
Contributor
Contributor

Edit the vmx configuration file, and look the path to your vmdk file.

Show also the vmdk file.

akatombo
Contributor
Contributor

How do I edit the vmx file? Can I just open it in vi from the ESX service console?

0 Kudos
akatombo
Contributor
Contributor

OK, that worked. I pointed the config at the earlier -00001.vmdk file, and now it boots.

The previous snapshots are all gone from the snapshot manager, even though the vmsn files are still in the datastore. Not a huge problem, but it'd be nice to have them back too.

0 Kudos
akatombo
Contributor
Contributor

Any suggestions on how to retrieve the snapshots? Extra credit available Smiley Wink

0 Kudos