VMware Cloud Community
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Arcserve and pre/post scripts

I have been trying to implement VCB and Arcserve. To start off, we were poised to purchase another backup solution. Then we discovered that it did not integrate with VCB. I then started evaluating ARVServe 11.5. Got this all set up on a 64-bit windows machine, working (after 3 days of problems),and started to test VCB. Couldn't get VCB or the ARCServe pre/post scripts to work. Posted to this group regarding 64-bit windows and VCB/Arcserve, if there are any compatibility issues,... no responses. So I built a 2003 Server box with 32-bit windows, moved the fibre connections, mapped this new server to the appropriate LUN, and started from scratch. Was able to get Arcserve working, and then finally able to get VCB working. So, at this point I have been able to mount both file level and fullvm level drives, and back them up with Arcserve. Great. However, I still haven't been able to the the arcserve pre-script to mount a drive. I know that it works, because I can do it manually. I have been over the config_whatever.js file a million times, trying to find a syntax error, and cannot.

First question: I should be able to manually launch the pre-script myself, and have it map either a file or fullvm, correct?

Second question: The pre script, launched manually, seems to launch another cmd window for vcbmounter, which then goes away, and does nothing. Assuming that the answer to my first question is yes, you can launch this script manually, then is there any way to determine what parameter from the .js file is incorrect? I assume that it has to be an error here, because I can manually launch vcbmounter myself, provide the appropriate variables, and everything works. That is, also assuming that the provided scripts from arcserve work, but since others have used them I don't see why they wouldn't work as-is for me. The only question here is the answers provided in the .js file, which I have entered in exactly as I used when manually running vcbmounter... Any ideas?

Third question: Even if I do get the Arcserve scripts working, is this the only functionality they provide? What I mean is, if I can manually mount and dismount VM filesystems and back them up, couldn't I just use any backup software that allowed me to run a pre and a post script, and manually provide batch files that do this? I mean, it isn't all THAT hard to do. So what exactly are these large pre and post scripts from ARCServe doing above and beyond what I am doing manually?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

902 is wat triggered me to ask the version, latest version this changed to 443 indeed.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thought I'd post the logs. If I point the machine to the VC Server, I get this error in the logs. If I point it to one of the two ESX Servers directly, I get some sort of SSL error. Funny thing is, I can connect to the VC Server using vcbMounter.exe manually, and it works, so I have no idea why the pre-script doesnt work, when it is passing the same arguments on to the vcbMounter utility.

-

Pre Script log begins----

Time Stamp: 1/18/2008 10:25:0:545

vcb_config = C:\Program Files\CA\BrightStor ARCserve Backup\config\cavcb_config.js

vcb_path = C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework

Backuproot = D:\mnt1

Hostname = pcgvc.parkcitygroup.local

Username = administrator

Password = *******

Port = 902

Processing VM name and valid mount type specified in Configuration file ...

VMname = ProphetServer

Mount Type = file

No of VMs considered for Mount operation = 1

Starting VM mounting operation ...

VM name: ProphetServer & Mount type: file

Current working directory: C:\Program Files\CA\BrightStor ARCserve Backup\config

HOSTINFO: Seeing Intel CPU, numCoresPerCPU 2 numThreadsPerCore 1.

HOSTINFO: This machine has 2 physical CPUS, 4 total cores, and 4 logical CPUs.

Using system libcrypto, version 90709F

Error: Other error encountered: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

0External command failed. See error above.

Exit Code: 1

VCB Mount/delete operation for this VM (ProphetServer) has failed

Number of VM failed to mount/export, count is = 1

Error code returned is: 1

Time Stamp: 1/18/2008 10:25:3:29

-

Pre Script log ends----

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Which version of ESX / VirtualCenter / VCB are you using?

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Latest for everything... I just figured it out, however, so Duncan being the first and only responder so far, gets the points. After pounding my head against the wall for a day, trying to figure out what was different when I ran manually versus using the pre-script, I started thinking port settings. First I went about it the other way, checking Windows Firewall settings on the VC server, and security port settings on the ESX servers, still didn't work. Finnally I changed to port 443 inside of the pre-script, instead of 992, and lo and behold, it worked.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

902 is wat triggered me to ask the version, latest version this changed to 443 indeed.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
ajudge
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep, had the same problem here after upgrading to ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5 changing the port in the config.js script did the trick.

0 Kudos
ascheale
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I´m fighting with with scripts, too!

My command is :

C:\DOKUME1\ADMINI1>cscript "C:\Programme\CA\BrightStor ARCserve Backup\pre_backup.wsf" "C:\Programme\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\config\cavcb_config.js"

I get no result ... Nothing is mounted.

Please see my cavcb_config.js attached.

0 Kudos
Shine_meh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi,

From where i can get this orginal-

Readme.txt, pre_backup.wsf, post_backup.wsf, cavcb_config.js

regards,

Shine