VMware Cloud Community
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Arcserve 12.1 can backup ONLY 1 VM (all other fail)

As per this message:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/101703?tstart=0&start=24

Anybody using it? Or has any idea at all what this could be happening?

Thanks

Seb

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I was trying to help pinpoint where the issue may be, whether it's with the snapshot process through vcbSnapshot, or solely with the backup agent config.

The others will work as well.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Was this working before? It looks like you are trying to backup your entire /vmfs filesystem from the service console instead of using a separate VCB proxy. Your first vm, which you may have referenced, since you are running snapshot, is working, but how are you specifying the remaining vm's?

-KjB

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

By selecting them in same way in Arcserve Manager in either same job or completly different job on either new tape or appended to same tape

I do not want to use VCB proxy (see no need for it at all)

That is one of the two supported methods of using the Linux Agent on ESX (so why not to use it? - if it work s that is)

Seb

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but it looks as arcserve is only passing the same vm to the vcb command that the pre run script is executing. Check the pre script and make sure there is nothing in there that would cause some hard-coded IP address or vm name.

-KjB

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The pre-script is copied from the original agents cd

The script does not even attempt to run on backup of any other VM (no error, just emptiness)

Seb

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd try to run the commands the pre script runs manually to see if that is the issue.

Use vcbVmName to get the moRef for the VM you want to backup, vcbVmName -h esx17.vmware.com -u sdk -p foobar -s ipaddr:buvm01.eng.vmware.com

Then use vcbSnapshot to create a snapshot : vcbSnapshot -h esx17.vmware.com -u sdk -p foobar -c moref:15 Snapshot "My Snapshot"

Then run arcserve to back it up.

At the very least, you'll have at least one good backup while you continue to troubleshoot.

-KjB

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Or I could create the snapshot manually in VC, run backup & then commit the snapshot

Or could use free ESXpress...

Thanks for suggestions

Seb

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I was trying to help pinpoint where the issue may be, whether it's with the snapshot process through vcbSnapshot, or solely with the backup agent config.

The others will work as well.

-KjB

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks (it was a honest statement). I will of course try it as it was a good suggestion

Seb

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for suggestions Kanuj

Easy when you know & here is what I did not know

Even the whole VMFS on SAN is visible to each ESX server, when one selects VM to backup in Arcserve, one needs to MAKE SURE that the VM is selected from ESX Unix/Linux System on which it is powered ON

So if the VM1 runs on ESX2, one does NOT select it from ESX1 system (even it is visible & possible to chose) as vcbSnapshot will simply not run (logical, can not run on something that does not exist)

This came to me when trying your suggestion of using vcbVmName to get the moRef for the VM to backup (and the errors that showed up)

Bit of hustle to backup VMs this way but do-able

Also have to remember that if your VM has independent disks configured, these vmdk will NOT be backed up by AS

Seb

0 Kudos