VMware Cloud Community
rossb2b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Anyone using Guided Consolidation?

I've been playing around with Guided Consolidation and found that I don't see all the servers in my domain and there isn't any way manually add them. There isn't a whole lot of documentation on this feature and I haven't been able to find a work around yet.

Anyone else have any experiences with this plugin?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Fuzweezel
Contributor
Contributor

I agree it looks like a promising feature, but hardly any documentation on it. I've played with a little bit, but I'd like to know more about the stats it produces from the scans on a target host. It will list out some utilization stats to determine whether or not a server is a vm candidate - but I'd like to know how exactly its determining this. I would like to think it's looking at windows logs and perf data over a certain period of time, but I think its only getting that data at the moment its scanning. There's no configuration options available, so I think until maybe this feature matures - it won't be very useful to me.

On a side note, I'd like to see vmware develop an independent product that would do a full and detailed analysis on a physical server candidate. And also something that would scan and analyze vm's to show me if the virtual hardware that I've allocated is really being utilized. In my environment, engineers and develop tend to ask for more resources than they need - and I don't have much of a window into verifying extra resources are warranted. Typically the stats and perf report data from Virtual Center is not has helpfull as I would like.

0 Kudos