VMware Cloud Community
aleph0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Anyone has issue on networking after the latest fixes????

Hi all,

I'm having problem with our VI3 environment (VI 3.0.1, all 20 fixes, Virtual Center 2.0 fix 2,[b] i.e. all up to dates[/b] ).

We are working on a couple of HP BL45p with 4 Net Ports on a passtru switch:

Vmnic0, vmnic1 and vmnic3 are bonded and trunked with VLAN IDs 104, 106, 108, 111 (production, Service Consol, internal DMZ, External DMZ)

Vmnic2 is reserved for VMotion and has VLAN ID 106 (same as service console). Below you have the esxcfg-vswitch –l output

\[PRE]

\[root@esx001 root]# esxcfg-vswitch -l

Switch Name Num Ports Used Ports Configured Ports Uplinks

vSwitch2 64 3 64 vmnic2

PortGroup Name Internal ID VLAN ID Used Ports Uplinks

VMotion portgroup8 106 1 vmnic2

vSwitch0 64 6 64 vmnic3,vmnic1,vmnic0

VLAN_110 portgroup12 111 0

vmnic0,vmnic1,vmnic3

VLAN_108 portgroup11 108 0

vmnic0,vmnic1,vmnic3

VLAN_104 portgroup10 104 1

vmnic0,vmnic1,vmnic3

Service Console portgroup13 106 1

vmnic0,vmnic1,vmnic3

\[root@esx002 root]# esxcfg-vswitch -l

vSwitch2 64 3 64 vmnic2

VMotion portgroup6 106 1 vmnic2

vSwitch0 64 15 64 vmnic3,vmnic1,vmnic0

VLAN_110 portgroup10 111 0

vmnic0,vmnic1,vmnic3

VLAN_108 portgroup9 108 0

vmnic0,vmnic1,vmnic3

VLAN_104 portgroup8 104 10

vmnic0,vmnic1,vmnic3

Service Console portgroup11 106 1

vmnic0,vmnic1,vmnic3

After applying the latest 6 patches from VMware we [b]loose connectivity on the Service Console[/b][/u] and I need to delete vswif0, delete Portgroup “Service Console”, recreate vswif0 and portgroup “Service Console” reassign the VLAN ID 106 on both physical hosts. After those tasks we can ping the SC ip address and reconnect the two hosts to Virtual Center. [b]So I hope this issue is resolved but I need to do a reboot of the two physical hosts to confirm it[/b][/u].

Another issue ( still unresolved[/b] 😞 Virtual Machines loose ip connectivity . For instance:

(CASE A)[/b] I have a VM with fixed IP address: the VM can ping DNS / other VMs and other Physical Machine on the net. Moreover the VM can be pinged. After a random lapse of time this VM cannot neither ping nor be pinged…

(CASE B)[/b] Other strange behavior: if I run a ping –t from the VM and VMotion from Host1 to Host2, the ping continue to run normally. If I revert to Host1 with VMotion I get request time out (without waiting for the random lapse of time of CASE A[/b]). If I reboot the VM and try to do a ping sometimes works and sometimes don’t. If I VMotion between the two hosts, it could happen that the ping restart responding.

Thank you in advance

Cheers

mf

\aleph0 ____________________________ http://virtualaleph.blogspot.com/ ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Whoa, bad luck mate.

I have not had problems with these patches on a few client sites (including HP blade).

Dave

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Have not seen any problem with the patches down here either and installed them all.

As for the connectivity problems, the static IP address isn't per accident in a DHCP pool?

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

Are you using beaconing?

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

make sure fastport (or is that portfast) is also enabled on those particular network ports

notorious_bdg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Make sure the switch port for vmnic2 is not bonded with any other switch ports.

CWedge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just installed the patches yesterday...all \*Seams* well..

*crosses figners*

0 Kudos
aleph0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No problem with the fixes... sorry for this thread but it was just a problem in physical network guys land... misconfigured trunking with dotQ switch...

sorry guys for panic on fixes...

tomorrow I'll be to customer site and finish the cnfiguration and testing

thank you all

I will distribute points...randomly Smiley Wink

cheers

\aleph0 ____________________________ http://virtualaleph.blogspot.com/ ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos