VMware Cloud Community
Abaronov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Announcement: Free utility to check ESX health

Hello all,

I’d like to share with everyone a free utility to do a couple of ESX checks. It’s a perl script that will look after service console configuration, TCP/IP settings, DNS, storage, NTP and services status. The script helps me a lot in automating post-installation checks. The script is open source and I would appreciate your feedback and am looking into incorporating it in new versions

Here is the download link: http://www.veeam.com/free-script/

Best regards,

Andrei

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Andrei

On a related note, I have downloaded and installed the Veeam Configurator but am unable to connect to any host nor to our VC2 server.

I have tried using name and IP address and it comes up with an error parsing the name every time. All names are resolvable, by the way.

Spasibo

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
hugop
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Andrei,

Looks very similar to this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/esxhealthscript/, but this gives a html page that shows all the configuration.

Your script is useful, maybe exporting the results to /var/log/ would be a good feature.

0 Kudos
Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Andrei

On a related note, I have downloaded and installed the Veeam Configurator but am unable to connect to any host nor to our VC2 server.

I have tried using name and IP address and it comes up with an error parsing the name every time. All names are resolvable, by the way.

Spasibo

Chris

0 Kudos
spex
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you for that fine script.

I gave it a try and it does more than only documenting the most important settings.

Keep going

Spex

depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

indeed hugop... esxhealthscript does exactly that and more. and is still under heavy construction. i use it for every customer visit I do and it's a great tool to get a quick view of the system

Abaronov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Chris, are you using default ports for esx/vc? Can you telnet esx_name 443?

0 Kudos
Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Andrei

Yes, and yes.

Actually, I have had more success. I can connect directly to a host as long as I don't try to use the root ID in the first connection box (it asks for the root password in the next dialog, as you of course know).

However, I can't connect to our VC server. If I use an account local to the VC server, it says "Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream" and if I use a domain account, it says "The hostname could not be parsed". Both of these accounts can be used with VC, when using the VIC.

Nice little tool though!

Chris

0 Kudos
Abaronov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Chris,

I sent you a PM and would appreciate if you reply with the additional info.

thanks,

andrei

0 Kudos