VMware Cloud Community
adithya_bhat
Contributor
Contributor

All my VMs are out of network in ESX 3.0.1 server

Suddenly VMs under ESX servers are not able to access the network. I reinstaled the NIC on VMs but no luck. Can anyone help.. My 5 servers are down.

Thanks in advance

Adi.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

can the VMs reach each other (those that are on the same port group and the same vSwitch ?

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

check the uplink status for the vSwitch or vSwitches involved. To troubleshoot, maybe disable all uplinks except for on, so you can focus on 1 NIC and 1 physical switch port.

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you want assistance, it's always a good idea to mark your post as a question ! This motivates people to respond, because you can reward them with bonus points for helpful and correct answers.

0 Kudos
adithya_bhat
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, Thanks for the response. All servers are in the same port group and not able to speak to themselves also. But three more vms from the same port group can able to connect to the network. I wonder on this !.

0 Kudos
ORRuss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What were you doing immediately prior to this loss of connectivity?

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Make sure there's nothing blocking traffic in the guest OS inside the VMs (firewalling software, misconfiguration of IP settings).

It's the VM that needs to prepare an ethernet frame, pass it to the network card (which is the virtual network card), and then the VMkernel will handle it in the portgroup, virtual switch, and send it out the physical network card if it is outbound.

0 Kudos