VMware Cloud Community
pyosifov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Alarms

Hi Guys,

I need your advice on a thing I'm wondering for a while. I have a bunch of VMs running on a couple of servers. I have allocated more memory to the virtual machines than i actually have physical. The VM's perform great and use less than the physical memory. However an alarm triggers that I use more memory than I have. It's not an actual problem but it pisses me off! Has anyone encountered such a thing? I want to alarm me of the used memory is above normal, not if the given memory is above physical. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Usually the memory alarm is set if the memory usage of the VMs reach to the 70% of the physical memory.

Can you please checkin the alarms settings, and change it to 80 or 90%, then the alarm would not be a problem for you.

-Karunakar

LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

The reason for this alarm is that if all your vm would grap all memory assigned to them your vm's would have to start Balooning

and maybe the host would have to do memory swapping on ESX.

Best regards

Lars Liljeroth

-

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
pyosifov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks guys,

But I know all of these! Smiley Happy I'm quite aware why this alarm triggers. What I want to know is is there any chance to bypass it! You are both right but I don't want to raise the percentage and I know that swapping or balooning could get involved. I just want to make the alarm trigger when the real usage of physical memory rises above some point, not VM memory or alocated memory.

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

The only way to get rid of these for good is to disable the alarm.

Best regards

Lars Liljeroth

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

You can remove the VM memory alarm and just use the host memory alarm from the hosts and clusters level as this is the real memory usage.

You can add the VM memory alarm individually on any VM object if required which will give you optional control of it.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos